Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JP creates DWF for actual ver of IDW instead of historical

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Maxim-CADman77
410 Views, 5 Replies

JP creates DWF for actual ver of IDW instead of historical

This is modified version of the thread http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-general-discussion/vault-misrepresents-part-list-on-historic-ver... Job Processor creates DWF for actual ver of IDW instead of historical

Steps to reproduce:

1. Inventor. Open “Oil Pan.IDW” (see Parts subfolder of standard Inventor Samples) and Check-IN it to Vault .
  2. Vault Explorer. Choose IDW and run “Update View (Queue Update)” command and make sure Job Processor has completed the job.
  3. Download “Oil Pan.IDW.DWF” and rename it local copy – add “_v1_byJP_while_ ACTUAL” ending
  4. Check out  OilPan.IDW and OilPan.IPT
  5. Inventor. Make some significant edits to IPT (drag End Of Part above Shell1 feature), update IDW, save both files and Check-IN them to Vault
  6. Vault Explorer. Choose IDW in main grid. Activate History tab on preview pane. Enable «Show all versions» option. Choose version 1 and Run “Update View (Queue Update)” command and make sure Job Processor has completed the job.
  7. Download “Oil Pan.IDW.DWF” and rename it local copy – add “_v1_byJP_while_ HISTORICAL” ending
  8. Compare files resulted from steps 3 and 7. They are both created for the same ver1 of IDW yet they are different! Why!?

BTW, issue is not reproducible for 3D-model itself.

Actual for software Kit:

Vault 2014 Pro, SR, SP1, Update1 (build 18.101.3.10)

Inventor 2014, SP2, Update2 (build 246)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Message 3 of 6
jweiss1313
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Thanks for nailing this down.  He have had this issue multiple times and could not get the steps down to reproduce.  We even opened a support case with Autodesk and they could not get it to reproduce.  Hopefully they can look at you dataset and finally fix this problem.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 4 of 6
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: jweiss1313

Think we still need to force Autodesk to acknowledge this as defect.

Their current position "this is as designed" -
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

BUT!

If "this is as designed" for IDW then why it is designed other way for
3D (IPT and IDW)?

Also, if "this is as designed" then how non-CAD user is supposed to
browse historical version of IDW after deleting DWF because of
non-unique-visualization-file issue?

Message 5 of 6

Just got one more "official answer" to this topic:

"....this issue was discussed internally by development and product management.

I know you will not like my answer but unfortunately I have no better news for you.

Even though this behavior is expected from developers point of view I agree that this is not an ideal behavior.

I have logged a request for developers to adjust/change this behavior in a future release.

However for the moment there is nothing which we could do about this on the current release. 

Based on this result this case now get closed."

I'm personally is completely fed up with such silly answers instead of honest attitude and true customer care/support.

I (CAD manager) is going to recomend our company's management to "give a boot" to Autodesk  - Let they use their "not ideal (almost) PDM" themselves...

We need reliable PDM now! Not just promise of some "future release".... They can't provide textures in system DWFs for five years! Should I believe them this time?!

I don't see any reason to waste my life on pointing Autodesk to the right direction while they tend to do what they like to. I'm not Autodesk's beta-tester.

Message 6 of 6

Issue tested in: Vault 2017 + Inventor 2017. Issue is still reproducible..

What a shame!

We all need new software vendor!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report