Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JOB PROCESSOR CREATION OF NEW DWF FAILS BECAUSE OF OLD DWF [VAULT PRO 2012]

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Steve_Bahr
388 Views, 5 Replies

JOB PROCESSOR CREATION OF NEW DWF FAILS BECAUSE OF OLD DWF [VAULT PRO 2012]

Greetings.

My Lifecycle stipulates that the Job Processor must create a dwf of an Inventor file when that file is set to "Released".  The Job Processor does not create that new dwf when a dwf of the same name [a previous revision] exists in the Vault.  This is a huge problem for me because I want the majority of my Thin Client users to see only the Released stuff [Conformity of Production].

I know I can delete the old dwf and resubmit the request, but I don't want to do that: I have Thin Client users that need to see old dwfs in order to make/buy parts for older product in the field.

I've allowed the Job Processor to Read and Modify, but not Delete.  I've also given it Administrator rights.  No luck.

What can I do to make the Job Processor create a new dwf of the same name as an old dwf, without losing that old dwf?  Is it simply related to the fact that I do not allow duplicates to exist in the Vault?  If so, how can I endrun around that condition for dwfs?

On a side note, but possibly related, I've created a rule that automatically puts an Inventor file into WIP at rev 0 when it is first checked in.  I do this to save my Engineering staff a couple of steps.  Even a new dwf of a new rev is always WIP rev 0, which is confusing because the file is Released at a new rev.  Could this rule be the culprit?

One hundred million dollars is up for grabs.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Steve Bahr...since 1962.

While of no use to your problem, I have the exact same problem in Vault Pro 2014 that my VAR nor an Adesk Tech Support worker can figure out. I'm very interested if you get a workable fix.

Unfortunately (for me) there is no danger of me getting the $100 million 😞

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your response, Brendan.  A thought struck me on the way to work this morning: could a macro be written to rename the new dwf to, for example, PartABC_a.idw.dwf?  A subsequent revision would be PartABC_b.idw.dwf?

No 100 million for you, but how about a Guinness?

Steve

Steve Bahr...since 1962.
in reply to: Steve_Bahr

Have a look here: http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2009/10/lifecycles-and-dwf-files-in-vault-family-2010....

This is an old post, but still accurate as far as I know.

There, you will notice the following:

In a healthy Vault Workgroup, Collaboration or Manufacturing environment these dwf files should also have the following characteristics:

No or “Base” Category assigned  - No Revision - No lifecycle state

I reckon your problem comes from that... (No lifecycle)

Just in case: Vault Manufacturing is now called Vault Professionnal...

Message 5 of 6
Steve_Bahr
in reply to: marina.collet

Thanks.  I'll review and evaluate.

Steve Bahr...since 1962.
in reply to: Steve_Bahr

Update..it seems that the default Category was not Base, which caused conflicts with the Rules I had set up.  Resetting the default Category to Base seems to have cleared up the issue.  DWF creation of new revs are proceeding normally with no errors, and old dwfs are being maintained.  I'm monitoring for a few days.

Steve Bahr...since 1962.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report