Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Master Using Company Standard Part Numbers

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dbrblg
976 Views, 8 Replies

Item Master Using Company Standard Part Numbers

How do you create items for an AutoCAD Electrical project using our company standard numbers instead of the manufacturers catalog number?

I am setting up my companies AutoCAD Electrical with a reduced main catalog which will contain our company standard parts. I have added the company part number in the User1 column.  When I check the electrical project into vault and try assign items for the project, Vault uses the manufactures number in the item master.  This not much use as our internal departments require the company part number.  

How is it possible to change this so that the User1 field is used instead?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mollons
in reply to: dbrblg

Check out the mapping on the Number property. My guess is it is to a property for autocad or autocad electrical files which you dont want to use. Try mapping a new property from the file proprty you want to use to the vault Number property and moving it to the top of the list.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 9
dbrblg
in reply to: mollons

There is no mapping of the number property to any AutoCAD Electrical files as shown in the attached image.

When I try to add a mapping, I cannot find a User1 field anywhere using the .wdp or .dwg providers, so I cannot see how to change this. Smiley Sad

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
cbenner

Wow, this is 2 years old.  But did you ever find a solution to this issue?  Are yoou still out there?  😄

I'm attempting the exact same thing right now, and running against the same brick wall.  Catalog fields are not available to map to Vault properties.  Whatever hoo doo is set up to create Items from catalog parts inside an Electrical project, is buried deep and doesn't appear to be customizeable.

Any ideas?  I have a similar question on the group, here:http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical/User-Column-to-Property/m-p/4355557#U4355557

Message 5 of 9
dbrblg

Hi Chris, yes I'm still here Smiley Very Happy

I didn't really get a satisfactory solution to this Smiley Mad  I believe I got mappings sorted to get the info in to the vault but not where I wanted it in the item masters.  That I never sorted.

The trouble is that we have just changed from Vault pro 2012 to 2013 and as yet we haven't got around to testing this again.

Vault is very frustrating - there are so many features missing and the configuration is all over the place.  Support is shady too as you have to pay for it and the support forums are only good if there are people out there who use it or Autodesk employees look at it!!

I'm starting to give up with it sadly.... Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 9
cbenner

I feel your pain....

I have made some progress on this by shear trial and error.  Here's what I've come up with:

I put my inventory number into User1 in the catalog.  I created a dummy Project and drawing and placed a couple of items in it that I knew contained a number in User1.  Then checked the project in.

In my mappings for "Number" in Vault, I made sure there were no mappings at all under the "Mappings" tab.  Under the "Settings" tab in Initial Value (which should have <Mapped> in it), I set the property mappings there.  I was having no luck finding "User1" when I tried mapping to an Electrical Project (wdp), but I was able to see it when I mapped to an Autocad file and Imported Properties from that test file I made in the paragraph above.  Since "User1" was in use in that file, it was in the property list as available for mapping.  This worked, and any catalog item that I placed which had my inventory number in that column became an Item with my inventory number as the Item Number.  The catch is, that catalog item cannot already exist in your Item Master with a different Item Number, or it will default to the Sequential numbering scheme again.

Message 7 of 9
tmoney2007
in reply to: cbenner

Once again,... way late to the party but there are 2 places that mappings happen, the regular mappings, and an "Initial Mapping"

Instead of showing up where all other mappings are (thanks for this one, autodesk), it is on the other property tab as a property attribute.
Message 8 of 9
chase.king
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenneri realize it's been a long time since you worked on this, but i'm wondering if you could elaborate further on how you got the USER1 field mapped into your Vault properties.

I am setting up a new instance of Vault 2020 Pro with ACAD Electrical 2020 and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the USER1 field mapped in (which, like most users, is used for my internal company ERP part #).

I have tried following your posts, but the ACADE projects & drawings I am seeding to vault all have USER1 fields on them in the capacity which I typically use them. I keep the USER1 living as an attribute on all of my ACADE symbols, and typically generate my BOMs and Parts Lists as Reports. This all works well for me. When you mentioned that you created a project & drawing for seeding that a drawing that had "USER1 in use in that file," what do you mean by "in use?" I've fumbled around with this for hours and can't find any way to make my USER1 to show up in the Vault property mappings. 

Thanks for your help or any additional info you can provide. 

Message 9 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: chase.king

@chase.king 

This has come up recently in another post, too.  I tried my procedure again to see if it still worked, and to this date I still cannot replicate what I did.  I haven't had the time to play around with it to figure out what has changed, or what I'm doing wrong.  But as of right now, I'm afraid I haven't got any new insights on this.  I'm sorry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report