Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is backing up the Vault necessary if My server is backed up daily

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
badams
540 Views, 2 Replies

Is backing up the Vault necessary if My server is backed up daily

Sorry, but we are still new with vault. 

We are currently on a remote Server that is backed up daily.  Is it necessary to Back up Vault when we are already backing up our Servers daily?  Our company is over 10 employees and Vault recommends using SQL for companys larger then 10 people, Is this really needed on top of the Server back ups?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
paul.gunn
in reply to: badams

Hi,

This is possible as long as all necessary data is being backed up on the server. Here is a white paper on doing third-party (non ADMS console) backup and restore: http://download.autodesk.com/us/vault/Backup_and_Restore_Autodesk_Vault.pdf  . For simple environments the SQL databases and vault filestore are what needs to be backed up.

My additional recommendation would be to do tests restoring from your backed up information. It is all too common for people to think they are doing a good backup only to find out too late some hole in the process.

Paul

Message 3 of 3
mdellunto
in reply to: badams

My first question is how big is your Vault Database?

If its not very big and runs under 2 hours. I would say do it. You have nothing to lose. Autodesk doesn't fully support thrid party ways of backups.

I ran into a problem in the past where the company did grow and a ADMS backup was never ran for over 6 years. When we tried to run it for the first time and the server blow up. It was not fun at all and Autodesk wasn't as much help as we would have liked. About 1 week of down time.

We where able to recover using a sql and filestore backup but if they are ran at different times and the sql database and files store are not in sync(EX:someone changes something after one of the two backups have ran.) then you will need to purge missing data and this could cause problems.

You can never have enough backups!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report