Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipt's reverting back to older versions

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
gordon.rogers
547 Views, 8 Replies

ipt's reverting back to older versions

Hi, I just ran into a situation where a couple of parts that we use in our assemblies have reverted back to a previous version. We are using Vault Collaboration 2013 and the server is at a different location. Has anyone run into this problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
olearya
in reply to: gordon.rogers

HI Gordon,

Please check the part history to retrieve the correct versions - what may have happened here is that someone has inadvertently checked out the assembly with old versions and checked back in as latest.

Typically this is quite difficult with the work flows we have implemented to check out previous versions but is still possible of course as this is a legitimate workflow.

Hope this helps.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
gordon.rogers
in reply to: olearya

Hi Allan, thanks for replying. I checked the parts and the version is current as I was the last to check it out which was in May of this year. In July I made a new assembly containing that part which was the last time the assembly was checked out. So that makes me think that is not the issue. My main concern is if there is one part that has changed is there others and how many. Also is it a good idea to purge old versions?

Gordon

Message 4 of 9
olearya

Hey Gordon,

This does sound a little unusual, just so I understand:

1. You created a new version of a part

2. Created a new assembly with latest version of the parts

3. Checked in latest

4. AT a later date checked out the assembly file and old versions of the file were present in the assembly.

I assume that the Vault browser indicated that you had old versions of the files loaded?

Allan

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
gordon.rogers

Hi Allen,

Close, step 1 you are correct. Step 2 I coppied an assembly from one .ipg to another .ipg and then replaced all the old .ipg with parts the new .ipg parts. Steps 3 and 4 are correct. Hope you make sense of that. I have also opened other assemblies with this sub assembly in them many times with no problems.

Message 6 of 9
olearya

Hi Gordon,

Do you mean ipj?  As in you copied an assembly from one project to another?  Were you using copy design for this, if not, why not?

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 9
gordon.rogers

Hello Allan,

Yes I mean .ipj. I do CD with in each project but I haven't CD from one to another because didn't know I could. If you look at the attachment you'll see I only have one project available to me. Would this be that we have our projects in 2 locations or we might have Vault not set up most efficiently. 

Gordon

Message 8 of 9
olearya

Hi Gordon,

It looks perhaps as though you are creating a single Vault for every project...  Do you actually "log in" to each project?  If so this is not really efficient for the very reason you see here where you cannot copy and reuse files.

If you are manually copying, moving and checking in files to alternate Vaults any number of things could go wrong here - from the wrong files in the local shared workspace when adding files or even opening files.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 9
gordon.rogers

Hi Allan,

Yes we have 2 vaults and each have there own project so we're always logging in/out of both Vaults instead of just changing projects. This was done before my time. The reason was because they were slacking on CAD standard and file maintance so the just started over thinking it would save time but five years on we're still moving files over from one to the other, mostly assemblies which I'm doing now. I imagine this is causing some and/or most of our issues. Thanks for the info and will pass this on to upper management.

Gordon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report