Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Vault Add-in: Dialog Suppression Bug

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
mistergoodwin
1789 Views, 19 Replies

Inventor Vault Add-in: Dialog Suppression Bug

Hi,
Recently upgraded to Vault Professional and now every time our users try to checkout files through Inventor the dialog is suppressed.
Below you will see that the Check Out dialog is checked and disabled from editing.

I've tried the following suggestion on Distribute dialog & prompt suppression settings across the team

Even deleted all the settings files related to Inventor and Vault, let them rebuild and still find this setting disabled.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? This wasn't an isolated case, every user in our drafting team has the exact same issue.

Options Dialog

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Yes, it is intentionally suppressed so that you can just do a "quick checkout" on the selected files without bringing the dialog.

However if you want to include the children or parent during the checkout you can change the options in the "settings". By default they are not included.

Hope this helps.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 20

That's the issue, instead of asking with the dialog what files you want it just checks out the files instantly.

i.e. if include children is selected, and someone presses checkout on a top level assembly they will get every files checked out to them without asking.

This didn't happen with Vault Basic, and stopped users from accidentally checking out files they didn't need.
Message 4 of 20

The behaviour has changed. So just enter the Settings and turn off Include Children and/or Include Parents. Then a checkout will just do that on the open file and not the relatives. And seeing that you're on Pro the Lifecycles can further restrict who can do what.

checkout_prompts.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 5 of 20

Sorry I forgot to mention we were on 2013 release before upgrading to 2015 with vault pro.

After reading this: 
http://crackingthevault.typepad.com/crackingthevault/2009/09/check-out-dialog-box-in-inventor-2010.h...

I am now realising that for some reason our checkout dialog never got permanently suppressed when the behaivior changed to "Quick Check Out" and "Get Revisions" got introduced. We somehow must of been running an old vault add-in with all the old behaiviors.

Get Revisions is closest to the behaivior we were used to in our 2013 release, minus having CheckOut comments and the buttons for selecting parents,children.

We're currently still working on our vault pro setup with training booked within the following weeks.
Still curious as to why the check out dialog is not a preference instead of permanently off.

Message 6 of 20
alh-telesis
in reply to: mistergoodwin

I would also like to know why this is permanently surpressed.

Message 7 of 20
Esky99!
in reply to: mistergoodwin

Hi Michael

Brendan's answer should have fixed your problem???
Message 8 of 20
alh-telesis
in reply to: Esky99!

Fixed? Not really fixed as much as a workaround.

The Basic Vault still has this check box fucntional.

So then why did it change in vault Pro?

Message 9 of 20
karthur1
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Senthil,

I want the dialog displayed when I do a checkout. That is the way I have always had mine setup.  Sometimes I want to check out all the children and sometimes, I dont.  The way it is now, I have to go into the Vault options menu, just to get what I want.

Does more mouse clicks/mouse movement = better... I dont think so.

If you are trying to get to a "Quick Checkout", then add a new command where it does suppress the dialog. Don't suppress the dialog and lock the user out of the option to show it or not.

That is a BAD decission to change it the way it is now.

Kirk

Message 10 of 20
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: karthur1

Kirk,

As mentioned in one of the above posts, you can use "Get Revision / Get Check out" dialog for check out parent along with Children. Does that help you?

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 20

Hello mistergoodwin,

You can add comments in Get Revision dialog during check out. Also there is a button to include dependents or not.

Hope that helps.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 20
karthur1

Senthil,

Using the Get Revision command works.  I can control there what I need to check-out much easier.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 13 of 20
CeesNooij

I'm glad I stumbled upon this topic. Aparently I'm not the only one bothered by this.

Okay, with Get Revision we have a (kind of) work around.

But still it's not clear to me why this option is greyed out. Isn't it the choice of the user if he/she want's to use the quick or "slow" option?

Could anyone explain?

Cees

Message 14 of 20
karthur1
in reply to: CeesNooij

The "why"... its supposed to be better, I guess.  I dont like it and wish they would put it back so we would have a choice. The assemblies that I work on are larger than the Padlock.iam sample file.  It takes time to check out all the related files un-neccessarily. Time is money....

I tried the "Get Revision" workflow just now on a different assembly.  Here is how great it works now (watch this video).

+1 for putting it back like it is in Vault Basic.

Kirk

Message 15 of 20
mikel_martin

To answer the question: Why is the dialog permanatly suppressed.

The confusion around the issue is partially because of some wording and UI placement choices that we made which in hind site may have not been the best choices.

The Get Revision functionality is the replacement for Get / Checkout in Workgroup and Pro. The behavior of relationship gathering in a the revision based system of Workgroup and Pro is very different from the version based workflows in Basic. It would not be possible to just re-enable the Basic dialog in WG/Pro without sigifigant side effects. 

When we introduced the Get Revision dialog we thought it might be nice for users to have a method to just checkout some files without needing the UI if they did not want it. But we also thought that it would be nice in this case to just have two commands instead of an option that would need to switched on and off. So we came up with the idea of a "Quick Checkout". Later we changed the name to just "Checkout". (Because it felt wierd to have Quick Check without another command called Checkout)

But then we had the question of what if the user wanted to be to do the quick checkout workflow with related files included. So we wanted to add some options. At the time we thought it would be a good idea to put them where many of the options for add-in commands are. But we had a problem... this command has no UI, so how to show the options. We decided it would be OK to just show the command in the settings UI with the UI permenatly off and the options available. In hind site this has proven to cause more confusion than anything.

I beleive most of the confusion mainly comes when migrating from Basic to WG/Pro people feel we have taken something away. When in fact we have replaced the Get / Checkout command with Get Revision (it also does checkout), and we added a quick way to just checkout.

I do apploigze for the confusion on the supression option and can see why this would cause some confusion. We had only the best intentions with these choices, but sometimes what seems like simple choices at the time cause the most confusion for our customers.

In one of the posts a video shows the Get revision command having an error. This is of course not the intended result of this command. If you see this I would suggest contacting support. I think you will find that the Get Revision command provides all the same features as the Get Checkout command in Basic.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 20
alh-telesis
in reply to: mikel_martin

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Message 17 of 20
karthur1

I have not loaded Vault 2017 yet, but I really hope that this "feature" is not in there.  It is just a pain to have to use the "Get Revision" when I just want to chech out the assembly file in a large assembly.  Case in point.... I just now opened a rather large assembly and made a small change to it.  Right-click, Get Revision took about two minutes to gather all the information before I got tht option to check out the file Smiley Sad.  It really suprised me  actually because, most of the time, I just get the white box with the red "X" in it.

Let me reiterate how much I don't like this "feature".

Message 18 of 20
Kent_Norling
in reply to: mikel_martin

Hi!

Found this old thread! Is there any thoughts about this issue in coming releases? I have heard from many users migrating from Vault Basic that they are missing this feature.

Message 19 of 20

This is fixed in Vault 2018 release.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 20
karthur1

@Senthil_Kumar wrote:

This is fixed in Vault 2018 release.

Yes and it is so much better now. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report