Vault General Discussion

Contributor
stapprich
Message 1 of 3 (317 Views)

Inventor Task scheduler issues when working with Vault functions

317 Views, 2 Replies
01-16-2013 09:43 AM

Hello,

I am currently in the middle of a Vault migration task (basic level) of 65k files using the task scheduler and I must say I would rather shoot myself in the foot!!

I am noticing that the check-in process is taking FOREVER (close to 48 hours for 4k files). I assume this is bc of the visualization file creation with a base level vault but was hoping there is a way to speed up the process (memory leak or temp files slowing it up?) If I run a task of 500 files then the task will run in about 1hr 30 min but anything over 1k files seems to really kill the process.

Also, how come I can not select multiple files when the vault function is being used? this makes it very tough for me to break the task up if I have to select 500-600 dwg's manually!!

Help Autodesk....what can be done to make Task scheduler more useful!?!

Valued Mentor
BLHDrafting
Message 2 of 3 (308 Views)

Re: Inventor Task scheduler issues when working with Vault functions

01-16-2013 02:49 PM in reply to: stapprich

Hi stapprich.

Having gone through 3 migrations I feel your pain. Task Scheduler needs a major overhaul. Through trial and error I have figured out that 500 files at a time is about the maximum my setup can handle without excessively long delays. And also doing ipt's first, then iam's then idw's seems to help. Why? Buggered if I know but it does.

Whether good or bad (another discussion) we have Vault basic with 2 projects, Library and Projects. I only migrate the Library items. The Project items get migrated when opening the iam/ipt/idw. Is this the best method? Again buggered if I know but it works in my situation.

Next week we are updating to 2013 and Vault Workgroup with which I intend to go to 1 project and use the lifecycle states to lock down what I consider to be Library items.

Hang in there with TS. It is a pain but is really the only effective method of batch processing these items without going down the path of opening each ipt/iam/idw in Inventor and doing the migration there!

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blh.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2013 PDS Premium SP2 Update 3 (Build 200), Vault 2013 Workgroup Update 2 (Build 17.2.9.0)
Contributor
stapprich
Message 3 of 3 (292 Views)

Re: Inventor Task scheduler issues when working with Vault functions

01-21-2013 02:51 PM in reply to: stapprich

BH, Thanks for the reassurance that I am not crazy. I have found the same outcome of trying to migrate more than 500 files at a time. I recommended that the migration process take place during a revision but due to custom programming, the files need to be the latest version.

Well, I guess a folder at a time is the only way to do this meaning I can not multi-select files from the Vault to be migrated....GGRRRRR!!!

Announcements
New button for Platinum & Gold Subscription customers
Gold & Platinum Subscription customers can alert Autodesk if they require assistance with their forum post

Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.