Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor model changes change old released drawings

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
meck
684 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor model changes change old released drawings

I'm hoping this is an easy question. We have Inventor files, models and drawings, in Vault Pro, but we are only releasing the drawing files. So we released a drawing at rev A. Using the model that is associated with the drawing we revised the drawing to rev B. When we now when we open the Rev A drawing the changes made in Rev B also show up in Rev A.

I was of the opinion that when you release anything in the vault the file is locked and no changes can be made to the file.

Do we have a setting wrong inside the vault? Do we need to start releasing the model with the drawings? I hope not. We use the ECO process to release the drawings and adding the hundreds of model files to the ECO would be a nightmare.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Eck
Master Drafter/ CAD Programmer
Using Inventor 2018
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
swalton
in reply to: meck

As you have found, IV will update a drawing to show the current state of the 3d model on file open, even if the drawing is Released in Vault. 

I would include the 3d files in your release process.

You should be able to pull out the historical revisions of the drawings and 3d models from Vault.

There are some tricks you can play with the Defer Updates setting in your drawing Document Settings, but I would avoid those.  Your users will have to remember to enable/disable that setting manually.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: meck

I believe what you need to do is use "Get/Checkout from the project explorer, and then in the dialog that opens, select the revision that you want to open.  Someone want to correct me if I'm mixed up?

Message 4 of 4
brendan.henderson
in reply to: cbenner

That seems correct Chris.

Another method is to Open in Inventor, then select Vault in the Quick Launch, and then use the Revisions drop down to select the correct one.

Of note is that there was a change between the Released Bias setting from 2013 to 2014 (I think). 2013 remembered the last choice made whereas 2014 always defaults to "Use newer edits for releated files" which I think is completely wrong.

open_vault_revision.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report