Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor DWG title block attributes do not change after edit properties in vault

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
smilinger
2029 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor DWG title block attributes do not change after edit properties in vault

I think this is a big problem.

If I do "edit properties" on inventor dwg drawings, the property texts in the title block which are linked to the iproperties I just modified will not update if you open it with AutoCAD.

The only way to make it update is to check out and open it in Inventor and save the drawing and then check in again.

To make it clear, see the file and pictures below:

when opened in Inventor :

1.jpg

when opened in AutoCAD:

2.jpg

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: smilinger

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I understand your concern. But unfortunately that is the only way to update the drawing in Inventor to get the changed Properties.

AutoCAD and Inventor engines behave differently. We can update the AutoCAD drawing without opening it. But for Inventor we need to open the drawing to update the Properties. So when you change the property, Vault just changes it since it cannot open the drawing using Inventor.

Being said that, if you have Revision Table in your drawing then the properties will be updated for Inventor drawings.

Hope that helps.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 5
smilinger

This is bad news.

Autodesk is always saying Inventor DWG and recommend it as default inventor drawing formats. Now we see there are some shortcomings of the Inventor DWG format.

So what's your opinion of the choice of Inventor drawing formats? Should we give up Inventor DWG and go back to IDW, or do you think the situation will change in the near future?

I hope this can be fixed ASAP, maybe in service packs or at least in the next release.

Message 4 of 5
Senthil_Kumar

I understand your concern. But please note that this issue not only happens in DWG. Even if you use IDW you will see this issue.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 5 of 5
smilinger
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Ok, I accept that IDW has the same thing, but it's a little different for IDW because people almost never open an IDW with AutoCAD or sth. else (Inventor view for example). People almost always open it with inventor, so the title block will update automatically when opened, nobody get confused.

And I also find that if I use "update view" to get the new dwf, the dwf get updated correctly and the dwg file opened in AutoCAD remain incorrent. That is even more weird.

So I think I should tell designers to do that "edit properties" job only if they have many drawing to edit property and remember to save it again in inventor, otherwise sooner or later some mistake will arise. And I think I should also prevent drawings with "Property Edit" comment from being released.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report