Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor and a shared working folder

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
m_simons
304 Views, 1 Reply

Inventor and a shared working folder

Hey all,

I have searched a great deal on this subject and couldn't not find any specific answers.

I know that for previous generations of Vault and Inventor, it is explicitly stated in the help system and on the forums that Inventor does not support a shared working folder.

I searched the help in 2014 and it doesn't explicitly say that Inventor doesn't support a shared working folder like it does in previous versions.

I am trying to understand what about Inventor makes it NOT support a shared working folder? Can anyone explain what would happen if I set up Vault with a shared working folder on a server and multiple people were utilizing Inventor in this folder?

My company wants to try using a shared working folder and I just want to understand what the hazards are.

Thanks for reading!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ryan
in reply to: m_simons

This remains true for 2014 and is unlikely to change. A shared working folder is not recommended for Inventor. You should have seperate for each vault user. Main reason is that if you use a shared folder you can run into conflicts where multiple users are editing files at the same time because in inventor (unlike most apps) opening a file does not mark it read-only at the O/S level for everyone else. The fact that inventor works this way actually makes sense, even though it isn't maybe typical.
Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report