Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 IDW launched from Vault downloads incorrect version of child IPT

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rush02112
553 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor 2012 IDW launched from Vault downloads incorrect version of child IPT

We are having the almost the same issues at this previous post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Inventor-2011-IDW-launched-from-Vault-downloads-incorre...

We have a Lifecyle set up to go from a locked released state to an editable (proto-type) state without invoking a vault revision bump. Sometimes going from released to proto-type causes vault to not open the correct version of the ipt.  The only way I have found to correct this is to rename the offending idw & ipt, copy design back to original part #, then delete original file which does not work.  As you see this is a problem since we lose all historical data associate with the files.

As mentioned in the above linked thread I tried opening from inventor using the open from vault command, whih does open the correct ipt, but vault continues to open the wrong version even after trying this.

I am not an administrator so all I can tell you is we are on Vault Collaboration 2012, build 16.1.58.0; Update 1

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
matt.smith
in reply to: rush02112

When you open a file directly from Vault (by double-clicking on it) it

a. downloads the file and its relationships and then

b. it opens the file in the application.

Normally, when you download a file (using "Get/Checkout") you get to choose all the options you want (i.e. Include parents, include children, latest, release biased, etc.).  When you double click on a file, Vault has a hard-coded default as to what options it should use to download the files.

I believe (but I'm not sure off hand--maybe someone will chime in and correct me), that for 2012, this would be

• Include Children
  • Latest
  • Release biased

So then, in your case, the problem is that it is preferring a released version over the latest version.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change this behavior, but the preferred workflow is to open from the CAD app (either using the Vault add-in's Open from Vaultor the app's native open command)

Hope it helps,

- Matt

Message 3 of 7
rush02112
in reply to: matt.smith

I get what you're saying, but we don't always have this problem while taking the same steps. What I mean is I could take an assembly of 20 parts and change from released to proto-type and only have 1 or 2 have this problem.  It's inconsistent but still a big problem.

Message 4 of 7
matt.smith

Ok, so it sounds like an issue separate from what I described.  It would probably be best to log a support case to get this looked at.  

- Matt

Message 5 of 7
rush02112

How do I go about doing that?

Message 6 of 7
matt.smith

I had someone in support escalate it for you: Salesforce Case 08255330

You should hear from support soon.  You can go to 

subscription.autodesk.com to check the status or log other issues.

- Matt
Message 7 of 7
rush02112

After a conference call with Autodesk support and our IT guy I understand why this happens but do not understand why Vault is coded as such.

Opening from vault always has a released biased, that is what ever the last version which was a released state will be the version which opens no matter what the current version is. The only way to get the current version to open is by opening said file from within Inventor.

From what Autodesk support said, this is by design.

Thanks Matt for your assistance in this matter!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report