Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Autodesk Vault - Don't know where to start!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Infallable
568 Views, 10 Replies

Installing Autodesk Vault - Don't know where to start!

Hello,

I am looking to install Autodesk Vault locally for use within my office.  We have two copies of Autodesk PDS 2013 installed on two CAD Stations.

My question is this - If I want to instal Vault on a stand alone machine,  where do I begin?  Can I use the Vault Basic that comes with Autodesk PDS to install it, or will I get an error during installation because I already have PDS installed on another machine? (i.e., the license is already in use?)

I don't have a clue where to start - ANY help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: Infallable
Message 3 of 11
Lancasterm

Yes you can install vault basic (server aspect) on a standalone machine that would be acting as a vault server.   Your CAD workstations would just need to communicate with them.   Since you are using the free version of vault there is no need to be concerned about licenses or where the other product is installed.   However with the free vault there is a limit on the (SQL) database size (like 4GB) and performance starts going doing when you start getting past 5 concurrent (vault) users.  

But I would at least start here: Advanced Configuration Guide for Autodesk Vault Server 2013 (or do a search for the Adv Conf guide for Vault Server 2013).

Hope that helps

Message 4 of 11
JamesMcMullen

I believe the Vault Basic client comes as part of the default installation.  You will need a server which if I recall is located inside your subscription center area.  Here is a link to the install section on the wiki.  It talks about installation, upgrades, and uninstall.  I would look over that first to get a better understanding.  At this point, I believe you will have to install the server and be good to go.

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 5 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: JamesMcMullen

I know, I know, I am diggin up an old thread, but I have the same issue currently.  I have tried installing Vault Basic 2014 on my home machine and it tells me I need Windows 2003 Server.  I am going to have the same situation here at work very soon.  As it stands it would be easier to just install the Vault Basic here on my local machine with me being the only user to start.  Ideally I would like to try this at home first with the 2014.  Here at work I am going to have 2013 installed.

Reading through the postings it looks like what I am looking for can be done.

Any thoughts on this?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: Cadmanto

at what point does it tell you this

During the Pre checks or before?

what OS are you trying to install this on?

you should be able to do that

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

what is also wierd is vault 2014 wasn't even supported on XP/Server 2003

that is strange it is telling you need Server 2003

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
Cadmanto

Darren,

This is the message I get after I simply put in the DVD, agree to the licensing agreement and select install.

vault.jpg

So, now that I am reading this again, I guess I cannot install this on a home edition of Windows.  That really stinks.

Anyone found a work around for this one?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 11
DarrenP

you can try editing the setup.ini

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/How-to-edit-Inventor-2014-setup-ini-for-Vista-6...

i have not tried this with Vault

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
Cadmanto

Thanks for the link.  I will give it a try and let you know how it works out.

I am guessing that making a backup of the .ini file is probably a very good idea before starting this adventure.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 11
DarrenP

yes always

DarrenP

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report