Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Vault Pro but use like Basic for a while

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tahdesign1
455 Views, 11 Replies

Install Vault Pro but use like Basic for a while

I am in the middle of going from Vault Basic 2012 to Vault Pro 2015.

I wanted to get to Vault Basic 2014 and then pull my clients up before moving on. Then stop there until after AU to help me get a clear view before going to Vault Pro 2014 then to Vault Pro 2015. However, management would like me to get us to Vault 2014 Pro before AU even though I am saying I will not have time to develop the pro use by then (lifecycles, approvals, etc).

So in ordered for me to consider this I have a few questions that I need answer. I have asked these within other threads recently but I do not see a clear answer yet.

1) Can an installation of Vault Pro be used by the clients just like the versioning style of Vault Basic until I define the workflows? Basically everything from a users points stays as Work in Progress. I just do not want the users to have something to deal with that I have not worked through and setup yet.

2) If they can use a Pro install just like a Basic install, is there a way in the ADMS console that I can prevent them from changing states by accident before I have time to develop my methods?

3) I understand that a Vault Pro ADMS 2015 install can run a 2014 client basic but does that mean that the 2014 client base will need a 2015 add-in to communicate? I assume that Vault Explorer would have to be 2015 but the question is about all the clients add-ins (IV, Acad, Office).

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: tahdesign1

Just assign users to the 'Document Editor' permission roles, don't associate any 'Document Manager' roles.

Then they can't utilize or change the workflow states, until you get everything setup.

Message 3 of 12
tahdesign1
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks

So basically that answers questions 1 & 2. They can use it just like a versioning Vault AND I can prevent them from the ability to do anything beyond that until I am ready.

So that works for if I am on 2014 PRO with a 2014 client base.

Anybody got an answer for question 3? Would really like Pro 2015 on before I go to AU but need to be sure it is stable while I am gone also.

Message 4 of 12
tmoney2007

If you aren't going to have the lifecycle states and workflows set up, do your best to keep thing in the base category and without a lifecycle definition.

The reason is that the states aren't updated live. That is, if you assign a lifecycle definition to a file, then change the lifecycle definition, all of the changes won't show up on that file unless you put the file into the "none" lifecycle state and then back into its old lifecycle. The things that will update are lifecycle state transition rules and I think read/write permissions, but I don't think the list of states will update.

Because of this, you need to at least have the states set up on your lifecycle definitions, and the RW and Read Only groups for each combination of lifecycle and state.

You can disallow the users from being able to get out of WIP and then change it in the future.
Message 5 of 12
tahdesign1
in reply to: tmoney2007

"If you aren't going to have the lifecycle states and workflows set up, do your best to keep thing in the base category and without a lifecycle definition."

My intention is to upgrade to Vault Basic 2014 and then upgrade my client base to 2014. Then upgrade the server to 2014 pro (then maybe even to 2015 Pro) before I go to AU. However, I will not do anything with lifecycles or the existing categories of the files. At this point ALL of my users are just Document Editor 2 level on Vault basic 2012. Those setting will come across from the restore. I would assume that if no user has the ability to change a file state and/or assign a workflow then it would just act as the existing 2012 Basic vault does now. Check In, Check Out, Versioning.

Still anybody got anything on question #3?????

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Vault Basic will not be able to log into a Vault Pro server.

However, Vault Pro 2014 CLIENT can log into a Vault Pro 2015 SERVER.

Message 7 of 12
DarrenP

#3. Vault add in needs to match the version you are running

if your running 2014 products you still need the vault 2014 add in to communicate with the 2015 vault

2015 requires the vault 2015 add in

with the office products with the 2015 vault in you get the outlook add in

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: DarrenP

Agreed, the ADD-IN version must match the APPLICATION Version.

Example:

AutoCAD 2014 must have the Vault 2014 Client installed for the add-in.

Message 9 of 12
tahdesign1

OK so let me make sure I am straight here.

It seems you are both saying the same thing.

I can upgrade the server to Vault Pro 2015 and communicate with it using the 2014 products (Pro Versions).

My intended path is:

Backup Vault Basic 2012 (Old Server)

Restore to Vault Basic 2014 (New Server)

Upgrade Vault Basic 2014 to Vault Pro 2014

Upgrade client base to 2014 (with 2014 Pro Explorer and Add-ins)

Upgrade Vault Pro 2014 to Vault Pro 2015

So now I have a client base that is running all 2014 products communicating with a server running 2015 Pro.

All users will stay as just Document Editors and no Lifecyles will be used until I define it as I see fit.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Looks good to me.  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 12
tahdesign1

OK I have one more point I need to be clear about:

• A 2014 Product Base must still have 2014 add-ins to communicate with a 2015 Vault

• A 2014 Client (Vault Explorer) can communicate with a 2015 Vault
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Yes, both statements are true.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report