Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexing PDF files - content and/or properties

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
piotr.z
886 Views, 4 Replies

Indexing PDF files - content and/or properties

Hi there,

A question to the general public: has anyone managed to get Vault to index PDF content and/or properties?

Is there a failsafe way of getting it to work. Initially I only want to be able to search for a word in used inside a pdf document but ultimately it would be perfect for use the document properties as well. Is it even possible?

Please, don't waste your time replying, if you "know someone who knows how to knows how to do it". Let me know if you HAVE it working.

Kind regards,

Piotr

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bradleym
in reply to: piotr.z

We had this working in 2008. It no longer works in 2012. We've tried a half dozen PDF iFilters with no success. There is apparently an issue in 2012 (that persists in 2013). I've had a ticket open for two months. Autodesk is unwilling or unable to fix it and my reseller is equally incompetent. They've promised to address it in an upcoming hotfix, which unfortunately doesn't have an ETA. We're moving everything back to 2008.
Message 3 of 5
yuhui.zhang
in reply to: bradleym

Hi Thank you for your reporting, would you please let us know which PDF ifilter you used with vault 2008?

Fay Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!

Message 4 of 5
bradleym
in reply to: yuhui.zhang

We used the XMP iFilter in 2008.
Message 5 of 5
piotr.z
in reply to: bradleym

The strangest thing has happened yesterday. The server I have used for testing has suddenly started correctly searching the content of PDF files. The only thing that has changed was this server's IP - it was physically moved onto another socket. Of course it was also restarted when it was done but I have done that plenty of times during my previous tests. So, as it stands today I have a Vault 2013 server on a system with Adobe PDF iFilter 9.0 64-bit which allows me to search for keywords in the content. I have tested it on PDFs created by AutoCAD and MS Word and it works fine. Kind regards, Piotr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report