Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Excel spreadsheet to Vault Professional

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
wshaner
1913 Views, 6 Replies

Import Excel spreadsheet to Vault Professional

Hello,

Is there a procedure "Out Of The Box", "Custom" or "Third Party" that gives the ability to import an excel spreadsheet (that is formatted to map to Vault Pro) into Vault that will either create new items (parts or assemblies) or search and find existing items (parts or assemblies) and then structure these items (parts or assemblies) into a BOM in Vault Professional?

The attachment below is an example used in PTC Windchill and I'd like a comparable version for Vault Pro.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
r.smith1
in reply to: wshaner

Hi wshaner,

Please see the below help link that has the information you are requesting:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-CFF4341E-DD81-462F-8392-BFF017C549FA

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
wshaner
in reply to: r.smith1

Hi r.smith1

Thank you very much for the link.  This should be very helpful.

Once the items are in Vault, can a spreadsheet then structure these items into a Bill of Material or would this have to be a manual process?

Do you have any examples of these processes (Importing items into Vault) and (Structuring the items after import into a Bill of Material)?

Thank you

Message 4 of 7
cbenner

An Excel spreadsheet brought into Vault is still just a spreadsheet.  I don't know of any way to suck it into a BOM in that form.  I would love it if someone would tell me I'm totally wrong.  😄

Message 5 of 7
r.smith1
in reply to: cbenner

Hi 

Ron Smith
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7
wshaner
in reply to: r.smith1

Hi r.smith1

That sounds like what I'm asking for...Thank you

Could you elaborate on this subject a little further...

Would you be able to provide an example of the structure Vault would require for this to work properly or a list of the required fields or attributes?

Would you also be able to provide a screen shot on where you import the spreadsheet to the item masster?

I do not see how to do this in Vault.

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your time.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
r.smith1

Hi wshaner,

The link above has an example, however one of the best ways to learn how to do this is to create an inventor assembly if you don't already have one, check into Vault then assign an item.  Once you have the item created for the assembly, release and export the Item.  Select the property fields in the export wizard that you want to see. Once exported, you will have the perfect template for import and how you will want to set up your spreadsheet for items import.  

It's honestly as easy as that!  Robot Happy

Ron Smith
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report