Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I unable check in to vault

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mohandhasr
755 Views, 13 Replies

I unable check in to vault

I have assembled a component by using some cap srew, nuts which are from library, and some sub assy parts from vault existing  already. when try to check in to vault the error message displays like" one or more documents need to be saved"

How to rectify this error?

pl help me..

Mohandhas.

R.Mohandhas
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: mohandhasr

Looks like some of the Parts are modified or need to be updated. So go to Vault Browser and check the files with * (asterisk) symbol at the end of their file names. Check out those files with * symbol. Now save the assembly and then try Check-in.

Hope that helps.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 14
cadfish1
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Is there perhaps another workaround?  This workaround creates extra versions in the Vault (very undesirable for a large vault like ours).

Message 4 of 14
mohandhasr

Yes, I have checked in now.

Thanks for your advise

Regards,

R.Mohandhas

R.Mohandhas
Message 5 of 14
Senthil_Kumar

Actually this is not a workaround. This is the way you should check-in the files when they are changed. If there is no change in the Assembly or it's Children or the DWF creation setting (ON/OFF) then the version will not change.

Hope that helps!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 14

Also if your files are getting dirtied without any action or the file version is getting increased without any of the above mentioned change,s please let us know the exact workflow that you do and we can try to reproduce the issue at our end. Please let us know the Vault Version and the Inventor version that you use. If you can also provide a dataset which can reproduce then it will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 14
cadfish1
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

I did the checkout then checkin procedure so my top level assemblies is now in the vault so I can get my designs to mfg.  The files that required saving where never at least consciously modified by myself so I have no idea why these files are dirty.  In the future, if I come up with a data set that's not time sensitive and has dirty files that I sure I haven't modifed then I'll resurrect  this thread.

Message 8 of 14

Senthil,

I am the engineering manager of a small design/manufacturing firm.  I have this exact problem, files are being dirtied for no reason.  we work with fairly large assemblies.  (10 000 parts plus), and this file can be ree-created on any number, or size of files.  It does not appear to be related to 3rd party connections like excel spreadsheets, derived parts etc.  This is a major major problem for us, because every time a designer wants to view an assembly, or work on some small part of it, numerous parts require checking out.  Included are standard parts, and parts on neighboring sub-assemblies (inside larger assemblies), that other designers may have checked out for editing.  This problem is completely eliminating the possiblility for collaborative work-flow in our design department which is the main reason we choose to purchase and implement Vault.  I would be willing to send any file you require, if someone was willing to reply to me with some kind of an answer on what we should be doing to rectify the problem.  My reseller/support company is unable to answer this question and has left me in the dark on this.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Message 9 of 14
Senthil_Kumar

Hi,

If you are under Subscription, can you please contact our Product Support? They should be able to help you in getting the data. Once we get the Dataset we can analyze them and will let you know what is the issue.

Do let me know if you need any further help.

Thanks!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 14

Dustin,

First, what version of Vault are you using? 

If workgroup or higher, when you open the file and the dialog appears asking if you want to update properties, select No.

One possible workaround is to first save the file and any associated files that have changed and then close the file in Inventor.  A dialog will appear to ask if you want to check the file in and select yes.  You may also get a save dialog box select yes to that as well.  This should close the file and check in any checked out files without the dependent save message.

Mike

Message 11 of 14

Mike thanks for the reply, but this issue seems to run deeper than that.  I have used this sort of workaround, but it is not that easy.  Imagine a large machine model with thousands of differenct files, and tens of thousands of instances.  Then you actually have to go through the model and figure out which part is is that needs saved by looking for the little star, selecting the file and refreshing it from Vault.  You cannot save the 'associated files' because they are not checked out for editing.  So if you try to skip the previous step, vault/inventor just errors out and tells you there was an error in the save.

According to my reseller they have talked to autodesk, its a known issue, and thats basically it, there's no talk of fixing the issue, and I'm supposed to accept the problem.  However, to me, this is basically the core functionality of Vault, and isn't acceptable.  for that reason, I intend on taking Senthil's advice and trying a support request directly with Autodesk, and see what they have to say.

Message 12 of 14
cadfish1
in reply to: DustinSmith7222

Thank you Dustin!  I could not have said it better.  And thanks for escalating this issue to Autodesk. 

Keep this in mind Autodesk, these files with the asterisk at the end of the file in the assembly browser at least in my case some of them can't be saved normally.  After saving all files (dirty files listed) multiple times, I still have files with the asterisk at the end of the file in the assembly browser.  If I close the top level assembly and reopen it, the same files still have the asterisk even though I've just opened the top assembly!  I can even restart Inventor and I still get the asterisks after opening the top assembly.  My workaraound is to checkout then check back in but I dislike this workaraound because it clutters our vault with needless versions.

Message 13 of 14

Hi,

The above stories are completely the same in our company.

Are there any findings regarding this.

We work since 2007 with Vault basic and we have been decided (by resellers) that we needed vault pro since 2012.

Since that date (2012) it hasn't become easier for the inventor user to use the software.

For our company I know that our engineering time has been doubled.

What I can remember is that the Vault pro software should reduce the engineering time, isn't it?

Was it a mistake to take the step of using Vault pro instead of using Vault basic or not using Vault at all?

Since we have many problems we are very skeptical about using further functionality of Vault pro (Items)

A few examples:

• Creating designs with inventor has become more complex because of the given facts that some features and mechanisms have to be used with care or should not be used at all. This means that inventor needs to be downgraded when working together with Vault pro. 
  • Updating unwanted dirty files by the user or by inventor (we don't know why) are that time-consuming that we need 2 employees fulltime for it to update the designs. So this means we doubled the engineering-time and also the quantity of employees.
  • Creating workarounds is a fulltime job as administrator.
  • There are many more.

I am looking forward to your opinions and findings.

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Tags (3)
Message 14 of 14

Hi,

I am sorry to hear on the issues you mentioned below. Have you logged these issues with our Support Team? If not will you be able to provide all the needed information (Versions of Inventor and Vault including Service Pack/Update), DataSets, Steps to reproduce, Videos showing the issue?

We need these information in order for us to help you further.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report