Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to strip Vault info from Inventor files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dave_deane
307 Views, 3 Replies

How to strip Vault info from Inventor files

Here's what happened. I understand and regularly use copy design within my Vault Collaboration '13 to copy files for new projects but recently I used Windows explorer and moved my part and assembly files to new folders deleted the old folders (this was never a problem in Vault '08). I then signed out of the Vault and then opened the top level assembly and pointed and resolved the assembly to the new folders and hit save. I made my configuration changes and I checked them into the vault.

The next time I checked out the assembly it delivered the assembly but with all the children from original locations inside the vault. Somehow it now keeps some vault info in the top level assembly even after files have been resolved and saved with new locations.

Luckily I had saved the folder to a network location so I have a backup of the new configuration. Because I saved the top level folder to a network location I can reproduce this effect. There is no doubt that everything resolves fine until it is checked into the vault. I use design assistant to verify the paths are pointing to the new locations. I even shut down Inventor and reopen the assembly no problem. As soon as I check the top level assebly into the vault it reconnects to the original children.

Is there a way to strip the vault info from these files?

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JamesMcMullen
in reply to: dave_deane

Hi Dave,

When you did the original copy design... what did you select for the parts in the assembly?  I am speculating that "reuse" was selected.  I am not aware of vault changing the relationships in the CAD product as you mentioned in your post.  We usually let the CAD product maintain that.

Thanks,
Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 3 of 4
dave_deane
in reply to: JamesMcMullen

In this case, I never used "Copy Design" from the Vault Explorer. I had opened an assembly within the vault so the files were delivered to my local workspace.

I shut down Inventor and  then moved them to new folders within my local workspace with windows explorer. These folders do not exist within the Vault. I started Inventor and made sure to be logged out of the vault. I opened the top level assembly and resolved the assembly to the new folders within my local workspace. I save the changes. I have verified it was fine by shutting down Inventor and interrogating the top level assembly with Design Assistant to verify all of the paths are to my new folder structure. I logged back into the vault and checked in the new folder structure.

All of the files were delivered to the vault just as they are structured in my local workspace. When I clear my local workspace and checkout the top level assembly from the vault, it delivers all of the children from the original Vault location and not the ones I just vaulted into vault.

Message 4 of 4
JamesMcMullen
in reply to: dave_deane

Dave,

I tried to reproduce the issue with the steps you outlined and I was not able to reproduce the issue.  I do apologize for the misread of you using copy design when you did not.  But, let me double check that I what I did was proper.  Here is what I did:

1.  Created a simple assembly with a couple parts

2.  Checked that into the Vault

3.  Shutdown Inventor

4.  Copied the assembly with the parts to a new folder

5.  Opened Inventor and opened the copied assembly

6.  Chose the option not to resolve the assembly using the vault

7.  Made sure the parts are proper

8.  Checked in the assembly and closed it from within Inventor

9.  Cleaned the work space

10.  Opened the copied assembly from the vault

The parts in your assembly that are resolving back to the original part...  Is there anything special about them (derived, library, etc.)?

Thanks,

Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report