Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate xls files to xlsx in Vault ?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
TONELLAL
933 Views, 6 Replies

How to migrate xls files to xlsx in Vault ?

Hello,

Excel files have now an xlsx extension, instead of xls. I need to migrate all xls files to xlsx in the vault, but replacing the xls file by the xlsx file. When I migrate xls files, new files are created, it is not an in-place migration. So I need to replace all xls files by xlsx files in Vault. The problem is Vault can only replace a file by an new file with the same extension.

Do you have a solution to replace an xls file by an xlsx ? I have more than 300 xlx files managing ipt or iam files, I can't open each Inventor file to change xls source by xlsx.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Madhan_T
in reply to: TONELLAL

Hi,

There are couple of solutions for you.

Solution 1:

I am able to see that I have option to choose different extension in the replace command in R2011 and R2012 Vault.

1. Upload xlsx files to vault. (So, you will have both xls and xlsx)

2. Then select the xls file and invoke "Replace"  command and choose the "xlsx" file.

But this has to be done one by one and it may not be efficient.

Solution 2.

1. Upload all xlsx files to the same location where xls files resides.

2. Using a saved search (for xls), select all the files and invoke get checkout and check out the direct parents by enabling include direct parents.

3. Use the attached macro tin Inventor to update all the ipt and iam files to refer the xlsx file.

4. Then use Inventor Task scheduler to Check In all the files to Vault.

Hope that helps. Please note that step 1 is important that the xlsx file location should be same as xls file in the vault.

Regards,

Madhan

Madhanagopal Thiruvenkatachalam
Principal Engineer
Engineering Escalation Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
TONELLAL
in reply to: Madhan_T

Hi,

Unfortunately we are on Vault 2010... I've tested with 2011, but I can't change the exension, same thing than in 2010.

The solution with the macro seems to be ok (tested only on 2 simple files), I 'll try on all files and I tell you.

Regards,

Alain

Message 4 of 7
TONELLAL

I've launched the macro on 66 xls files used in 273 ipt or iam. Everything seems ok, but after 1h (I don't know how many files), I have the message "A required resource is unavailable", then "View Manager description failed" (see erreur macro.jpg) --> OK = "Unable to create an empty file" --> OK = "VBA error : Method "Error" of objects "Documents" failed" (see erreur macro2.jpg),

Message 5 of 7
Madhan_T

Hi,

Sounds like the file could not be opened due to low resources in the system.  Perhaps, restart is needed. If the error still persists, you need to run the macro for first 50 files then check in and delete local copy and repeat the same for other set of 50 files and so on. 

Regards,
Madhan

Madhanagopal Thiruvenkatachalam
Principal Engineer
Engineering Escalation Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7

Unfortunately, that doesn't work.  You need to have parent files to use the Replace command.

Message 7 of 7

@mark.martinezECRPT 

Hi.  You are replying to a post that is over ten years old, and refers to Vault 2010 and 2011.  Are you trying to solve the same problem on one of those releases of Vault?  Or, are you having the same issue with one of the newer releases.  If this refers to a newer release, I can move this to a new thread to get you more help.  Thank you.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report