Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know what to check-in

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sgold
391 Views, 4 Replies

How to know what to check-in

This is probably a very basic question, but those are always the tough ones to find answers.  New to Inventor/Vault, not new to CAD/PDM.  Vault Basic, 2013.  Making a whole bunch of new parts, but as far as I can tell, there's no good way to know what you've made unless you keep a list to the side.  Am I missing something?  How do I know what I need to check in when I want to check it all in?  Thanks!

fyi: I am making my parts from within Inventor first and saving to my work location on the HDD, is that my process problem? In the PTC Intralink days you would build within your "workspace" so you always knew what you had made and what needed to be checked in, but I don't really see that as a method with Vault Basic.

--Scott

Scott G.

Using Inventor 2013/2014 and Vault Basic since 2012
Using Simulation Flow 360 since 2013 (sparingly, bear with me please)
6 years Solidworks (v2006-v2010)
10 years Pro-Engineer (v13-WF2) w/ Intralink (2.0-3.0) w/ Pro/Mechanica
2 years of Mechanical Desktop
AutoCAD since R12
First professional CAD: DrafixCAD
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rantisong
in reply to: sgold

If you have installed Vault Add-in with Inventor, you can new a Vault project in Inventor, so that the file can be managed by Vaut. After that, while you work with your design, there will be a Vault brower, which can help you understand which files have been checked in and which are not. Meanwhile, if you try to close the file without checkin, there will be a message to remender you to check the design back to Vault, so you will not forget to upload your design to the server.

AA.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

-Frank

Vault 2013 Wiki help is ALIVE !
Message 3 of 5
sgold
in reply to: rantisong

Yes, helpful that I didn't know I could change the tree on the left to show the Vault.  What I am finding is that if I make a new file from within Inventor though, it does not always ask me to check in.  And, what if I don't want to check in at this time, perhaps I have more edits to make and such, so checking in extra times in undesirable.  

Looks like the more advanced Vault has some sort of comparison tool, but looks like that was completely overlooked (or someone decided that it was "good marketing" to leave out that feature to force us to upgrade to fancier unecessary version)  in the Vault Basic.  

Geez, already getting on my soapbox in my 2nd post, sorry folks.

--Scott

Scott G.

Using Inventor 2013/2014 and Vault Basic since 2012
Using Simulation Flow 360 since 2013 (sparingly, bear with me please)
6 years Solidworks (v2006-v2010)
10 years Pro-Engineer (v13-WF2) w/ Intralink (2.0-3.0) w/ Pro/Mechanica
2 years of Mechanical Desktop
AutoCAD since R12
First professional CAD: DrafixCAD
Message 4 of 5
Lance127

In a multi-user envirnment the work flow can (usually?) looks like this;

1. Statart a new file

2. Save new file in Vault workspace on you HD with appropriate name

3. Check blank file in leaving checked out to you.

4. Do creation type stuff

This prevents multiple people from trying to create the exact same part or any confusion on the file names. it would also take care of the asking to check in issue.

As far as showing what is up to date between your hard drive and Vault, that functionality is in Vault Basic.

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 5 of 5
swalton

Vault (basic) does not manage the workspace like Intralink/Windchill.  It only tracks files that have been added to the Vault server.  Anything else, it ignores.

Autodesk has not provided a tool to find any files in a workspace that are not in vault.  I bet it is possible to write a utility that compares the list of files in a directory structure and the list of all files in vault: I have not done so.  It might take a while to run, my workspace has 15k files in it.  This is after running the workspace sync tool.

If you can perform a search with Windows to find all files that are not read only, that may give you the info that you need.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report