Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create projects for Vault 2014 Basic

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
JimStrenk
687 Views, 5 Replies

How to create projects for Vault 2014 Basic

I've looked through the WikiHelp for Vault 2014 and did a search within this discussion group but couldn't find the help I was looking for.

I've got Vault 2014 Basic installed on a stand-alone computer where I also have Inventor 2014 Pro (PDSU 2014) installed.  Having just one drive at this time, I've created a folder called C:\ Inventor 2014 Pro\Projects as my root folder for holding ipj short-cuts files and sub-folders for specific projects such as Portfolio, Doodles, Trains, Planes and Automobiles.  All of these projects were set up as Single User projects.

I've also created a working folder called C:\Vault Working Folder.  Within Vault, I've been able to create a sub-folder off the root of the Vault installation ($) called Designs.  The Designs folder is the root of the file store.  In other words, \Designs\Trains will contain all my train work and \Designs\Automobiles will contain all my automotive work.

I've been successful in using Autoloader to "copy" files from my Projects\Trains and Projects\Automobiles into Vault \Designs\Trains and \Designs\Automobile folders.

All projects that I've created so far were constructed using Single User formatting.

Where I seem to need assistance is in creating a Vault User project.

1) Where on my C drive do I specifically create my Vault Projects?

I wish to create a sub-folder in Vault off of \Designs for a folder called Furniture.  I wish to place tables and chairs in this particular folder. 

2)Can a Vault Project specifically direct the file store to point to $\Designs\Furniture?

3) Must I create a sub-folder off of \Designs prior to creating a project for Furniture?

4) Do I write Vault specific projects in the C:\Vault Working Folder?

Any assistance that you can provide would be of great help to a Vault 2014 Basic newbie!

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ihayesjr
in reply to: JimStrenk

Try reading this section in the wiki. Manage the Working Folder and Set the Working Folder.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 6
JimStrenk
in reply to: ihayesjr

Thank you Irvin for your assistance!

Is it possible to edit an Inventor 2014 project file in some way so that a user is forced to save work in a particular sub-folder in the vault?  Would multiple project files for vault be of any use?

In other words, a user is asked at the beginning of the day to create files for an automobile.  Just before lunch, he's been asked to check-in his work.  It is expected that the checked-in the files will reside in the Mustang folder within the vault.  Checked-in files can not be stored in a different folder with the vault.

After lunch, the same person is then asked to create files for an airplane.  At the end of the day, he is asked to check-in his aircraft files.  Once checked-in they are expected to reside in the Boeing 787 file within the vault.  Once again, the files can not reside in any other folder with the vault other than Boeing 787.

If the Inventor Project file can't be used to enforce where checked-in files reside in the vault, is there some other methodology that would enforce where files that have been checked-in reside within the vault?

Can this methodology be used with Vault Basic 2014?

Jim Strenk

Message 4 of 6
ihayesjr

Jim,

There are no methods in Inventor or Vault to force a user to savd files in a specific folder.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6
JimStrenk
in reply to: ihayesjr

Would "no" include programiing techniques such as VB.net or the other usual characters?

Jim Strenk

Message 6 of 6
ihayesjr

You could possibly create a program to do so.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report