Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create one item bom from multiple parts without an assembly?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dgeldard
251 Views, 2 Replies

How to create one item bom from multiple parts without an assembly?

This may seem like an odd question but bare with me for a moment.

My company does a large number of weldments. These weldment consist of many parts that are just cut to length. In our current process we create a unique part number and drawing for each part.  Each part has the child material contained inside the part via iproperties.  So for example part number xxxxxx is a c channel that is cut 54" long, the physical model will be of a c channel 54" long, and in the iproperties we will have a partnumber field for the c channel.

We currently load the item bom into our MRP system via an external integration tool.

So if i have a weldment with 100 parts i have 101 drawings i have to print and move through the systems, plus i have a 101 unique part numbers i have to manage, route, and move through the manufacturing systems. 

Here is my ideal state:  I'd like to group these parts by some logical method. For now lets assume we group by manufacturing operation. Say half (50) are sawn to length, and the other half, (50),  are burned out of plate of the same thickness. If I can create one drawing, under one part number, with 50 parts, and 50 child materials, i only have 3 drawings and part numbers to process through the systems.

So, is there a way to assign the parts or the drawing to a single item master, and have only there child material show up on the bom?

We are currently using Inv 2015, Vault pro 2015.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mikel_martin
in reply to: dgeldard

If you create some iproperty on the file (or already have one) and use the same value for all files you want to be attached to the same item.

Then map that iproperty to the Item Number and the equvilance property, all the files with the same value will be attached to the same item.

Hope that helps.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
dgeldard
in reply to: mikel_martin

I could assign all the parts to an item that way. however it doesn't give the end result i need. You would get a bom only for the primary link,. If that primary link is a part you get no BOM What i want is a bill of materials in one item for multiple parts .

If I assign multiple parts to the same item using the equivalence value I end up with one primary link and bunch of secoundary links.

As an example if i had three parts,  BASEpk-1,BASEpk-2, and BASEpk-3.  BASEpk-1 is made from MATL-A, BASEpk-2 is made from MATL-B. and BASEpk-3 is made from MATL-C. What i want to do is have one drawing, BASEpk, that shows all three parts and has a BOM of MATL-A, MATL-B, MATL-C.  And I want to do it automatically on item assign, so I don't have to manually transfer the data to the item master.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report