Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To: Change SQL Server to a different Server

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
katterbauer
1023 Views, 9 Replies

How To: Change SQL Server to a different Server

Hi,

I have an up and running Vault Professional 2013 instance on a single server with SQL 2008 R2.

I want to leave ADMS on that server and just change the SQL instance to a different server to increase performance as described in some autodesk vault articles.

I see how to do this within a new setup during the setup dialog by configuring remote sql.

How can I do this with an already installed system?

Steps (to be edited by someone who knows how to do it):

1.) Turn on TCP/IP protocol and sql browser on the new sql server

2.) Backing up KnowledgeVaultMaster and Vault database and restoring on the new server

3.) What about sql logins / windows logins on the new sql server and existing adms server?

4.) How to tell the ADMS to connect to the new sql server?

Thx for your help,

klaus

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ihayesjr
in reply to: katterbauer

Klaus,

Try these steps:

1. Install the Remote SQL Server using the steps found in the Advanced Configuration Guide. SQL Administrative Tasks for Autodesk Vault expand the section Install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Prior to Installing Autodesk Vault Server.
  2. Enable the TCP/IP protocol and set the SQL Browser service to startup automatically. Use the Configure Remote SQL section in the link provided in step 1.
  3. Backup your current Vault(s) using the ADMS Console backup utility.
  4. Edit the web.config file located at Autodesk\ADMS Professional 2013\Server\web\services.
  5. Find the line <server value=".\AutodeskVault" />
  6. Replace the period "." with the server name of the remote SQL install.
  7. Launch the ADMS Console and create a Master Vault from the Tools menu.  This will verify that it is connected and everything is set correctly.
  8. Restore your backup performed in step 3.
  9. If all is successful, you should uninstall the local AutodeskVault SQL instance.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 10
katterbauer

Irvin,

thanks for you quick response!

I will try this and give feedback about how everything worked out!

klaus

Message 4 of 10
katterbauer

Irvin,

everything perfect until step 7. 

I am able to start ADMS Console. The console succesfully points to the new SQL server (if i try to attach an existing database the selection dialog points to the new server).

The problem now is, that there seems to be a rights problem with the new sql server. i get a sql error (error in converting system.dbnull to string) that is a problem with sql user rights when i try to create a new knowledge vault master.

could you please describe which users/schemas/roles i have to create on the new sql server (AUTODESKVAULT instance exists, but no autodesk console installation; so no VaultSys SQL user,...) to make this work?

I tried to manually create the VaultSys sql but did not make it good enough to work.

thank you,

klaus

Message 5 of 10
ihayesjr

Use the link in step 1 in my previous post.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 10
katterbauer

I did exactly what was described there:

- Create sa

- Create VaultSys

incuding the necessary credentials/roles

The problem still persists.

Error says "Object of type "system.dbnull" cannot be converted to type "system.string". when trying to create a new KVM. If i attach the KVM with SQL Studio the error message appears when starting the adms console.

another hint?

Message 7 of 10
ihayesjr

When you install SQL on the other server, what collation did you select?  If that fails, I would recommend that you uninstall the Vault Server and reinstall it and point to the remote server. You will have to uninstall the local SQL instance for the installer to enable you to point to the remote server.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
katterbauer

Collation is in fact different! Although both SQL installations were installed with default settings for the collation the existing says "Latin_1_General_CI_AS" and the new one says "SQL_Latin_1_General_CP1_CI_AS".

Don´t know if the code page and the beginning "sql" makes a difference but i will install the instance new with the exact same collation.

thx, i will give feedback,

klaus

Message 9 of 10
ihayesjr

Actually I believe those 2 collations are the same.  Microsoft changed the names in newer versions of SQL.

I would go with my other recommendation of re-installing Vault server and let the setup configure SQL for you.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
katterbauer
in reply to: ihayesjr

Don´t know what helped here, but after I reinstalled the SQL instance and defined the collation to be exactly Latin_1_General_CI_AS and additionally reinstalled adms console everything works now!

Thanks for your inputs and help!

klaus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report