Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Help needed with Item revision LS-state limitations.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Maxim-CADman77
267 Views, 6 Replies

Help needed with Item revision LS-state limitations.

I don't understand limitations with Item revision and LS-states in VP12upd1.

Hope someone could help me get the whole idea.

For example: if some Item has the only revision and its LS-state is Obsolete then attempt to create new revision fails (...Item LSstate should be either "WIP" or "Released").

At the same time our vault do have some Items with two revisions, latest - "WIP" and first ("-") - "Obsolete".

1. Any ideas on how this occured?

BTW

2. Is there any method to search among previous obsolete revisions (looks like when searching within all revisions obsolete ones are skipped)?

3. Is there any method to delete previous obsolet revisions (purge claim to be able delete only "WIP" and "In Review" revisions).

PS: Case is open for question 1, but I doubt i'll get answer there.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mollons
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

1. There's no rules stopping you from creating an item and immediately setting it to Obsolete. Which is what may have been done. Perhaps with the intent of deleting the item. You could also then come back and change the obsolete item back to WIP. If you select the - revision and an earlier date in the date drop down you could probabyl see earlier iterations of the item before it was set to Obsolete.

2. I believe that search for items is only finding historical Released revisions.

3. No, there is not at this time.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 7
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: mollons

Dear Scott, thanks for your answer

But I still don't understand how it happened that some Items that are in WIP (latest) revision has got an obsolete revision.

To be honest I've used some trick to batch "transform" all Items as follows:

- switch revisioning scheme

- create new (first) revision according to new scheme

- purge default "-" revision

AutoIt script was simulating user actions and I can't understand why in some cases it resulted to current situation (which I can't reproduce manually) while other Items were "transformed" exactly as supposed.

I'm 100% sure all Items before batch transforming have had the only (default) revision ("-") and it was in WIP state.

Would like to know why and how to fix.

Message 4 of 7
mollons
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Unfortunately, without greater detail of what actions you "batched", what your starting state looked like, and what you had auto-it do I can't really help you figure out how an Obsolete revision got put in there. It is highly likely something you had auto-it do could have caused the obsolete item iteration to be created. If you have a backup from before you ran the batch process you could restore it to a test server and see if there are any differences with the "strange" items before the batch process was run.

There is no way to purge or remove an Obsolete item revision. So apart from deleting the item all together and recreating it there is no way to remove it.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 5 of 7
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: mollons

I see you point.

Even so AutoIt was just simulating buttons pressing....

Anyway the backup really exist and I can try to reproduce. Thanks for the idea.

Message 6 of 7

I've reproduced the issue on backup and still can't see any reason for issue to arrise.

What was done:

New Item revision scheme was created with default rev#="12" (don't ask me why "12" - it's our management's vision).

Then search through Item master for rev "-".

Having all rev"-" Items displayed in main grid the Autoit script was fired.

Script actions are:

for each entry (Item) in the main grid (starting from the first)

1. Call "Change revision" command.

2. Choose and accept company's Item rev. scheme.

3. Call "Purge" command with option "WIP and In Review".

4. Activate next entry.

Result is strange - some Items are OK (the only revision is 12? WIP) but other got obsolete revision "-" in their history, while current rev is "12" and it is WIP.

Most interesting that revision "-" become obsolete after step 3.

Any ideas?

Message 7 of 7

Continue investigation....

Option on step 3 make no difference (revision "-" got obsolete with any of the two).

The issue is not reproducible if I comment the only line in the script and do the action manually (pressing OK in Purge Item dialog box).

The script line that causes issue is:

ControlClick ("Purge Item", "Item Version Selection Criteria:", "[NAME:m_okButton]")

Another way also leads to issue:

ControlClick ("Purge Item", "Item Version Selection Criteria:", "[Text:OK]")

(Of course I dont use any "smiles" in script coding, if you see any in above line - your forum settings is to blame ... to see original code set My settings/Preferences/Display/Emoticon type to "None")

So, Vault behaves in the unsupposed way when getting casual windows commands.

The final question is:

Is there any another unsupposed behaviour of Vault that I can use to:

A) Find all WIP Items with obsolete revisions

B) Remove obsolete revisions of WIP Item

Any ideas are welcome.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report