Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail as the SMTP Server

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jasonjohnson
2053 Views, 6 Replies

Gmail as the SMTP Server

Hello,

Is it possible for Gmail to serve as the SMTP server for the ECO email notifications?  I've tried the following and only get a timeout error.

SMTP Server Name: smtp.gmail.com

Email From : <my gmail adress>

SMTP Server Port Number: 465

Enable Compatibility with SSL? Yes

SMTP Authentication? Yes

Usename: <my gmail address>

Password: <my password>

email settings.png

I've also tried using port 25, and get the error below.

Error.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
clastrilla
in reply to: jasonjohnson

Try the following settings:

SMTP server: aspmx.l.google.com

SMTP port: 25

Untick "Enable Compatibility with SSL"

Untick "SMTP Authentication"

Message 3 of 7
jasonjohnson
in reply to: clastrilla

Thank you for the alternative.  So its a mixed result.  Doing a test email to a gmail account works, sending to any and all non-gmail accounts results in the following error.  In the end it does serve its purpose of being able to test the eco process without needing to get the IT department involved.  Thank you.

Capture.PNG

Message 4 of 7
clastrilla
in reply to: jasonjohnson

Great to hear it worked for you. Forgot to mention that yep, it does only work with Gmail 🙂 I've also seen a similar address for Yahoo and other providers (a Google search gave a list of providers).

Message 5 of 7

thanks for the info.  It allowed the test email to run succesfully, although i didn't see it in the inbox.

Did you have to do something else to get it actaully send the email.  Also, I have problems with turning on SSL.

Using Vault Pro 2014 with Subscription Release1.

Thanks,

JF

Message 6 of 7

It seems this Google SMTP server takes a while to send emails out, on average about 10-15 minutes. I've also found that the mail typically gets redirected to the Spam folder the first time, but after marking it as "Not Spam", it goes into the Inbox.

I havent tried this with any SSL settings, as mainly used as a test environment. I'd venture to guess it may be something with this particular Google SMTP server which has issues with SSL. If you connect to a "proper" SMTP server, or the paid Google SMTP server, then it should work.

Message 7 of 7
fabrice.gafan
in reply to: clastrilla

Hello,

I am configuring the ECO e-mail notification, using smtp Gmail server , but keep getting the same error saying "the service is unavailable".

I tried the settings as described above, yet it is still not working.

Is there anyway to make this work?

Thanks for your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report