Vault General Discussion

Vault General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
mthomas
Message 1 of 7 (604 Views)

Get a list or report of all drawings used?

604 Views, 6 Replies
12-16-2011 05:54 AM

I thought it would be easy but is there some method to quickly and easily pick a top level Inventor assembly and get a listing of all drawings (.idw & .dwg) used by that assembly and all of its components? Basically I want a method to get the drawing package for that assembly.

Batch plot can kind of do it, but there is no method that I can see to export or save a list. I can export the BOM from the items and do some excel magjic to kind-of get a listing, but this isn't really it either.

Ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Thomas

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 2 of 7 (596 Views)

Re: Get a list or report of all drawings used?

12-16-2011 02:47 PM in reply to: mthomas

As you already know, there is not an "easy" way to get this information.  You would think so, but there isnt.  Vault knows the structure and the files.  Just do a Get/Checkout on ur top most assembly and in the settings, choose "Include dependents" and "Include related documents". If there was a way to print this list, then you would have it... but there isnt.

Exporting the BOM to excel is probably ur best bet for now.

Something that I have been doing recently is when I want to print all the associated idws of a job, I open the top most iam and then run this macro and it prints all the idws (if they are in my workspace).  Not really what you are asking for, but it might help later.  It saves me a bunch of time.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Print-ALL-drawings-related-to-an-Assembly/td-p/25677...

You might be able to change this code and write the list to a txt file, then you would have it.

*Expert Elite*
mthomas
Message 3 of 7 (587 Views)

12-19-2011 08:41 AM in reply to: karthur1

Thanks for the code. You are right its not exactly what I want but perhaps I can tweak the code to generate a list

Mike

Mike Thomas

Contributor
robridings
Message 4 of 7 (510 Views)

08-29-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: mthomas

Has anyone managed to succeed in exporting a list of all drawings associated to an assembly?

Inventor 2014 Pro SP1, Vault 2014 Pro SP1
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Xeon 3.6GHz
32GB
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Valued Contributor
VINCEBALGE4109
Message 5 of 7 (465 Views)

09-11-2012 10:40 AM in reply to: mthomas

I use Pack&Go then uncheck all .ipt & .iam files. We've created a custom template file that acts as our transmittal.

It worked really well in 2011 but 2013 is a little clumsy, it doesn't sort by file type as well as 2011.

Gives you a PDF that can easily be converted to Word or Excel

Mentor
steveh
Message 6 of 7 (460 Views)

09-11-2012 10:59 AM in reply to: VINCEBALGE4109

Gang...If I'm understanding you here....there's an old script created by our budy Charlie Bliss call BomXtractor, been around for years. Infact, just used it this morning. It will allow you to pick a top level assembly from Inventor and it will create a spreadsheet in several different BOM arrays (Summarized, Indented, etc.). It will provide all the parts that Inventor used to make up the assembly. It runs outside of Inventor as a stand alone program. Just take not that if you have purchase assemblies like a gear box which is made up of .ipts, it will include the sub-components in the list too.

BomXtractor

You can also do some similar printing from Vault as mentioned in the original post. You can you use the "PLOT" command in Vault. Add related file sheets and let it crunch for a bit and it will compile all related .idw's. Once you have the list you can do a File/Export and send the list out to Excel and then hit print to get the .idws. I just did one and it took several minutes to gather 500 idws and I exported the list to excel. Sure beats manually doing this. In the old days it would have taken hours to compile all of these prints.

HTH,

Steve H.

Inventor---Vault Professional
Contributor
robridings
Message 7 of 7 (449 Views)

09-12-2012 12:39 AM in reply to: VINCEBALGE4109

Thanks guys.
The report generated from the Pack and Go tool within Vault seems to do what I need it to do.

All I need to do now is modify the report template to display the info. that I need.

Inventor 2014 Pro SP1, Vault 2014 Pro SP1
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Xeon 3.6GHz
32GB
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Announcements
New button for Platinum & Gold Subscription customers
Gold & Platinum Subscription customers can alert Autodesk if they require assistance with their forum post

Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.