Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force User to Enter Comment at Check In

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bulent
758 Views, 6 Replies

Force User to Enter Comment at Check In

Hi,

Recently we had a metting with a potential customer. He asks whether its possible to force the user to enter comment at check-in of a file? (Can be a design file or an office document)

Cheers,

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Neil_Cross
in reply to: bulent

I'm open to be proven wrong, but as far as I know you can't do this using standard product features, Autodesk aren't big on giving admins the option to enforce rules like this even though in many cases it's something we really really want to be able to do.  Initially my first thought (on Workgroups or Pro) was maybe we could create a Vault based file rule to redirect a file with no comment onto a lifecycle which the users have read and modify rights denied, which would in turn block the file from being created in Vault.  But then I remember logging a ticket years ago to have that behaviour reversed, and it was Smiley Frustrated wups.  But even then, it would be a complicated and messy workaround.

If this is vitally important, if it was me I'd get in touch with an Developer Network partner and get a custom VB application created to satisfy this requirement.  I've had several of these type of apps created to patch up things that I need Vault to do.  A skilled programmer could probably knock up something like this in a day or two.

Message 3 of 7
volkan
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Hi Neil,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll try to find a developer. 🙂

Cheers,

Volkan ARI
Message 4 of 7
stuarts

In vault pro and workgroup 2015 you have data standards, this can be used to enforce property input. this could be linked up to your vault comment easily I would have thought. Clearly basic would require customisation of inventor API as bault basic doesn't have API capability.
Message 5 of 7
stuarts

The last part of the previous post was meant to say with vault basic doesn't come with data standards and has no API so inventor would have to be customised through its API to achieve what you are looking for. You could also consider illogic?
Message 6 of 7
Neil_Cross
in reply to: stuarts

I'm not positive on this as I haven't personally tried it, but I'm almost sure that Data Standard can't apply enforcements like that, even in Pro.   I asked the question a little while ago and Doug Redmond responded saying it can't go that far, but we might have been discussing a different property enforcement.  Either way, I'm totally wanting to be proven wrong if someone can confirm it can do this and show an example as I have a current requirement for this kind of feature.

Message 7 of 7
fsdolphin
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Is this still true, there is no way to enforce comments when checking in files into Vault Group 2019 or newer?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report