Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find out who's got a Vault License *SOLVED*

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
Mario-Villada
3920 Views, 29 Replies

Find out who's got a Vault License *SOLVED*

Hi All,

I have seen many people coming across this situation so I wanted to share this apllication with you.

there are a few tools on the web that tell you how many vault licences are being used but they don't tell you who have them. So I followed the approach used by Michael in this thread : http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Who-has-a-licence/m-p/3334645/highlight/true#M40739 to develop my own solution to this.

This application was developed in Delphi.  it reads the information in the Log files from Vault and tells you who has the license. It can be used for two types of users:

1. If you have acces to the machine running Vault Server, just run this software in that machine. although check first if the folder containing the log files is correct. (see This Blog)

2. If you don't have access to the Vault Server, then ask your IT Guy to create an automated windows task to copy the log files in a shared network location. Then run the software by changing the folder to that network location.

Since this file size is not supported on this dsicussion group, I could not upload it here, but you can downloaded from this link : Dowload

I have used this tool In Vault 2013 and 2014 english versions only, I am not sure if it works in other versions or languages. please  comment if it does.

I would love to hear comments.

One request though: KUDOS If you like and use this tool.

Enjoy.

Tags (1)
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
ihayesjr
in reply to: Mario-Villada

Mario,

I tried using this with 2014 but it isn't working properly.  License consumption is now recorded in the AVFS log file in the same location.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 30
Mario-Villada
in reply to: ihayesjr

My bad, thanks for testing the tool Irvin.

For sure it works on 2013 and I thought it would in 2014. So for the moment I hope it would help people still using 2013 or earlier versions (I think).

Unfortunately I work for a different company at the moment and they we have Vault basic so I cant fix it right now. Although I could give it a try if you (or someone else) could send me a sample log file for Vault 2014. can't promise anything though.

Thanks.
Message 4 of 30
Mario-Villada
in reply to: ihayesjr

Hi Irvin,

I have uploaded a new version of the software that I think it might work on 2014 as well.

Do you think you could try it and let me know if it works?

It can be downloaded from THIS LINK.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 30
clastrilla

Hi Mario,

Great program! I tried it out on a 2014 logfile, and it says no licenses are checked out (whereas it should say Ed has it out).

Attached is the AVFS logfile, hope this helps troubleshoot it!

Message 6 of 30
Mario-Villada
in reply to: clastrilla

Thanks Carlos,

Silly mistake from my side. It turns out that the program was not reading the very last line of the log file so it was giving you the wrong information. It is all fixed now.

Sot to avoid any confusion, 2013 AND 2014 Vault users please download the app from here: DOWNLOAD LINK

Regards,

Mario.

Message 7 of 30
DarrenP

thats awesome

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 30
harvinders

Great Job Mario!

Message 9 of 30
tucai.admin

Fantastic Job, Mario!

I can confirm you that the original program also works on a VAULT 2011 Professional, Windows 2008 64bit server.

I downloaded the other two versions too, as I expect to migrate to 2014 this year. I suppose the non-fixed 2014 version will not work, right?

Best regards, and thank you very much for creating this tool!!

A side question, don't you find it a bit surprising that this feature is still not included in the tools provided by Autodesk?

Oscar Gil

Message 10 of 30
Mario-Villada
in reply to: tucai.admin

Thanks Oscar, no worries.
It is best to use the fixed version of the tool. The other one works except that it does not read the last line of the log file, so if it turns out, that line has some licence information, it won't give you accurate results. You should be able to use the tool from my last link in ALL versions of Vault. you just need to select which version of vault you have installed by clicking on it.
I agree, this thing should be standard functionality of Vault.
All the best.
Message 11 of 30
tucai.admin

Mario,

Exactly I was going to report you that the first version was giving me 10 licenses occupied while the Status Enquiry from LMTOOLS was giving me 11.

I replaced the tools with your latest version and the results are consistent again.

Many many thanks!!!

Best regards,

Oscar Gil

Message 12 of 30
m.mees
in reply to: tucai.admin

Hi,

it doesen't seem to work for other languages. At least it definitely doesn't for German.

Regards.

Marco

Message 13 of 30
Mario-Villada
in reply to: m.mees

Hi Marco, I was suspecting it won't work for other languages than English, the logic of my program looks for keywords like "Licence" or "acquired" and creates a record accordingly. if those keywords are in a different language, the program won't pick them up and of course it won't work. Let's hope Autodesk creates this function as standard. Thanks for letting me know.
Message 14 of 30
steveh3

Cool utility..Awesome job!

Just have a question though, it tells me how many licenses that are being used, but the number of users shown doesn't agree with the number of licenses in use.

See screen shot....

Am I missing something?

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 15 of 30

That is very weird. Do you know which one is correct? The list or the number? Can yo send me your log file to have a look? Post it here or to my email mvcad at outlook dot com.

Regards,
Mario
Message 16 of 30
steveh3

Mario...I figured out what was going on. The results are correct, just a little ackward on how to read results, but straight forward after I figured it out.

Awesome tool, will use!

Here's a video showing how to read the results for other users....

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/81665338-e590-40b9-a20e-aefb3e3a6c09

THANK YOU for this tool!

Best regards,

Steve Hilvers

Unverferth Mfg. Co., Inc.

Message 17 of 30
Mario-Villada
in reply to: steveh3

No worries Steve,

Thanks for pointing this out. Cool video you made.

Another workaround is to select all with the mouse, and then copy (CTRL + C) and paste the result in any word processor like note pad.

However, I made a new version of the tool that allows you to resize the window and It also has scroll bars.

This new version (1.5) can be downloaded from here:

VaultLicences V1.5

All the best.

Mario

Message 18 of 30
DRudaz

Hi,

I tested on a French version, and it does not work.
I have a vb script that reads AVFS-log file but in this file there several identical lines so overall the license list in use is wrong.
Her is on of these lines :

09.05.2014 14:47:42 Licence acquise (246070880) pour le nom d'utilisateur (XXX), ID utilisateur (5), hôte (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX).

This tool is very interesting, shame that Autodesk does not offer.

Best regards

Dom

Message 19 of 30
steveh3

Hello Mario, sorry to bother you again...

Attempting to get a handle on what is actually happening here...

I performed a status inquiry from LMTools and and Mario's Vault License V1.5 at the same time and got this...

From LMTools....

Users of 86305VLTM_2015_0F:  (Total of 45 licenses issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 86170VLTM_2014_0F:  (Total of 45 licenses issued;  Total of 44 licenses in use)

"86170VLTM_2014_0F" v1.000, vendor: adskflex

floating license

From Mario's Vault Licenses V1.5....

40 Vault Licences in use

Developed By : Mario Villada
27th of September 2013

We are still using Vault 2014 and not vault 2015 yet. So, 0 licenses in use makes sense for 2015.  But, why are the licenses not agreeing with each other for Vault 2014?

Thanks,

Steve H.

Message 20 of 30
Mario-Villada
in reply to: steveh3

Hi Steve,

To be honest I have no idea what might be going on. a few things come to my mind:

LM tools have reserved 4 licences for memers of a group.

There migh be a time delay from when the licences are released and the time when that information gets written on the log file. Do you always have the same discrepancy?

Please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue.

If you can send me your log file I am happy to have a look.

Regards,

Mario.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report