Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Store size

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
admin
1238 Views, 5 Replies

File Store size

Hi everyone, is there a way reo reduce the size of the FileStore folder?I have tried using ADMS to purge files but doesnt seem to help too much. My FoleStore is aobut 500GB

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BeKirra
in reply to: admin

1st of all, are those files in the vault? If so, then probably you are right - ADMS won't help.

If the FileStore is your working folder, then you may have the following options:

1) Delect all noncurrent project files from the FileStore folder. (note: check-in all files to vault before taking the action!)

2) Relocate those files which are not often use. For example, move them to a removable hard drive.

2) Delect all unwanted files (note: you may also need to decide if all files in "OldVersions" folders, which are backup files, can be delected.)

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 3 of 6
minkd
in reply to: admin

A purge will not have any immediate effect on the filestore. Any file resources that are "orphaned" when the purge deletes the file versions are cleaned up when a nightly background job runs.

And starting in 2013 we "share" file resources across different file versions if the files are in fact the same.  This means that even though the purge may have removed some file version records, there may still be a file version that is "holding onto" a file resource.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 6
admin
in reply to: BeKirra

Thank You. Our working folder is not in the file store, we have it in our local C drive
Message 5 of 6
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: minkd

Before you do this, back up your 500gb vault.  The results may not be to your liking.

A very permanent solution:

Clear out a Vault Working Folder from a client PC.  Start it clean.

Take a test project folder (im sure your organized into project groups and subprojects and such some how...) 

Repair all relationships. (last chance to keep any file relations intact).

"GET" the whole thing out of vault, make sure to check out all children and parents.

Delete that folder from vault, unconditionally.

Add your latest version of the test project back into vault.

Result is really only good for 'archived' projects.  Because unless you open each file, and check in from client-addin CAD program (AutoCAD Inventor, Revit), you will get 'dumb' files that don't know their references, and rely on oldschool methods to find them.

I did this for a project folder, and did achieve a smaller file store.  I don't recommend it for 'live' project files.

jvj
Message 6 of 6
admin
in reply to: JamieVJohnson2

Thank you! I will give it a try

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report