Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIle State based on Item State

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cbenner
247 Views, 5 Replies

FIle State based on Item State

Hi...

Is there any setting that will lock a File when an Item has been set to Released?  The Item gets locked, but unless I also set the file to Released, the file is still open for editing... which kind of defeats the purpose.

How can I remove this extra step of setting both File and Item to Released?  Is it a security setting?  Or is this yet another Idea Station post?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
minkd
in reply to: cbenner

In Vault Explorer, under Tools/Administration/Vault Settings, on the Items tab, in the Configure Lifecycle Settings section, click the Security button.  If the "Apply Item security to related files" button is checked, then the ACL below will be applied to the files in all but the WIP state. The ACL is removed for the WIP state.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: minkd

So, if the File is in WIP... there is still no security from the Item?  Which means I have to set the file to Released in order to get the Item security onto it?

Message 4 of 6
minkd

The files don't drive item security - it is the other way around.

If the item is in WIP, the file will be under the security from it's containing folder. When the item goes into a non-WIP state (In Review, Released, Obsolete), the file will get the ACL defined in the dialog mentioned in my first response.

File lifecycles were never intended to be used in conjunction with Item lifecycle. I believe our recommendation is to use one or the other, but not both.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: minkd

I understand that, though I've never understood why that is true... but that's a different topic for a different day.  Vault is like a split personality IMHO.

What I am experiencing is that I HAVE this security level set, but with an Item set to released I can still open, check out and modify the file.  That said, it may only be on my machine as I have Admin privelages.  Need to check this out on a user machine in the morning.

Message 6 of 6
minkd

If you already had the item to file security set, and it locked down the file(s) when the item was released; but then someone changed a file's lifecycle state (they would need to be allowed to do that via the security on the transition), the file would end up with whatever ACL is in that file lifecycle state. In other words, it's last one wins. Could that have happened in your situation?

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report