Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Migration: One folder (of many) not migrating with Task scheduler

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Lalitkmr123
633 Views, 10 Replies

File Migration: One folder (of many) not migrating with Task scheduler

Hi,

I am having a strange problem. I upgraded from Vault 2011 to 2012.  I migrated the files using Task Scheduler. I have about 10 folders representing different machines. All these folders migrated to vault 2012 except one(Say A).

I migrated the files in this folder using Task scheduler.

When I open a file from the vault from this flder, it informs me that the file is newer than the one in Vault, do i want to replace with the one in vault. Saying yes if I open it and go to save it, It gives me the "Data format change screen" saying that the data format has been changed......

among all  folders in the vault I am seeing this behaviour only in this folder and its subfolders.

If I migrate the files of this folder (A) again, The message says the files are already migrated. but the problem does not go away.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Lalit

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mollons
in reply to: Lalitkmr123

Not sure what is happening bu there is some info:

Vault in and of itself does not have any requirements about what format the files are in. When you migrated you migrated the files to Inventor 2012, not Vault 2012. Vautl 2012 can manage any release fo Inventor files.

The dialog stating the files you had were newer, was because what you had locally in your workspace appeared to the Vault to be newer than the versions of the files it knew about. Saying yes to replace meant that Vautl was going to overwrite the version in your workspace with the latest version in the Vault.

I am not sure what the Data Format dialog is, most likely this is something that Inventor is displaying.

Is the data format screen the problem? Could you attach a screen capture of it?

Or is it always telling you the local files in your workspace are newer than the Vault's?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 11
Lalitkmr123
in reply to: mollons

Scott,

Thanks for replying.

Here is sequence of the events.

1. I migrated the files in the folder (SP-6) with the help of Task Scheduler.

2. When I check out the file from the vault for this folder. The message "File ....is NEWER than the latest version in the vault. Are you sure you want to replace it with the version in the vault " is displayed. The Message is attached as photo 1. however if I open a file of any other(Other than SP-6) migrated folder from the vault, I dont get this message.
3. I say Yes so that the file in the workspace is replaced with the version in the vault.
4. If I save this file . I get the dialog "The data format of the following files was migrated to the current release.....". Screen shot is attached as photo 2. its basically a manual migration of the file.
   Again, for a file of any OTHER (Other than SP-6) migrated folder from the vault, I dont get any such message when I save.
5. So If I run the migration of the folder (SP-6) through Task scheduler. In the log file I find out that the files have been already migrated. The log file is attached as file "log".

So my understanding is that although in my local workspace the files in the folder (SP-6) have not been migrated ,
   The vault thinks that the these are migrated,
   And that those files are newer than the latest version in the vault.
   after checkout from the vault I have to migrate the file manually.
and this happens for the files in the folder and the subfolder of "SP-6" only. Any other folder does not have a  problem like this.

I have tried to migrate these files from another client machine. there also I get the same issue with "SP-6" folder

Regards

Lalit   

Message 4 of 11
mollons

It looks like the migrated version of SP-928 is not getting checked in to the vault after migration.

In the log we can see it is getting opened, updated, saved. But it is missing in the section where the files get checked in.

So what seems to be happening.

1. The file does get migrated in your workspace.

2. Everything in the folder except that file gets checked in.

3. You do an open from vault and the SP-928 file is indeed newer than the vault version.

4. Answering yes overwrites it with the unmigrated version in Vault.

5. You see the dialog saying Inventor has once again migrated it.

A couple things to do/check:

When you open the assembly and the file is migrated, you might be able to simply check it out and check it in through Inventor. This would get the correctly migrated version checked in to vault.

Is there anythign special about the file in the vault? Is it assigned to a file category? Is it in a lifecycle state? Is that state a released state which would not allow for it to be checked out?

Is it attached to a released item which would also not allow the file to be checked out?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 11
Lalitkmr123

Scott,

Thanks for finding the anamoly. That was the key. Now I see that the files did not get checked in.

As suggested by you , i did check for the model state, Life cycle state, state of the files that these files go in.  All are work-in-progress. Nothing  seems out of the ordinary.

Also If the files are not being checked in by the task scheduler after the migration, then their model state in the vault explorer should say "checked out". but the file state shows checked in with"The local copy  edited out of turn " state as explained by you.

confusing.

So what should be the remedy?  check which files are migrated but not checked in (There are 100s) and manually check out and then check in?.

or

Checkout all the files in the folder from the vault with the task scheduler.

Migrate?

and check in with the task scheduler?

Regards

Message 6 of 11
mollons

I am contacting people much more knowledgable on the task scheduler than I am to see if they can point us in the right direction to figuring this out.

I will get back to you soon.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 11
Lalitkmr123

Scott,

Could you find any thing on my problem with the  file migration.

Regards

Message 8 of 11
mollons

I haven't heard back from the task scheduler experts yet, but I have cast a  wider net to try and find out more about the log file contents.

In the meantime, if there are specific projects which need to continue, you could migrate them one by one by using Inventor, or use task scheduler and migrate the rest of the files when they are opened. Then check everything back in to the vault. I know this isn't a good solution, especially for large projects.

I haven't forgotten about you though.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 11
mollons

I got some feedback about the what the log file indicates.

- Are you sure you are using the correct project file for the migration. The log file indicates there are missing files and this could contribute to the problem.

- Are you sure the file that isn't being migrated isn't checked out by someone else?

- Are there other duplicate files with the same  name in the vault?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
Lalitkmr123

Scott,

Sorry for not replying earlier. I was out of  town.

For your questions:

"- Are you sure you are using the correct project file for the migration. The log file indicates there are missing files and this could contribute to the problem." ----- We use only two project files. One for the main machine files and second for altering the library files.

"- Are you sure the file that isn't being migrated isn't checked out by someone else?" --- I went into vault explorer and verified that the files are not checked out by someone else.

"- Are there other duplicate files with the same  name in the vault?"---- no there are no other file with the duplicate name. the vault stops us from doing so.

also it is happening to all the files in subflders of this one folder called SP-6.  files in all other folders dont have such problem.

Regards

Lalit

Message 11 of 11
Senthil_Kumar

Lalit,

Thanks for your reply. Now we have tried almost all the options we could think of and still the issue is there.

So we need to see what else we can do further. Here are few things we could do

> The Log file says SP-928.ipt and SP-928.idw are checked out and NOT checked-in. But you said in VE the statuses of these files are "Edited out of Turn" and NOT checked out. So we need to see why that so and how this can happen?

> You can send the entire backup or the Problematic files to us. Do let me know if you want to do. You can send me an email at senthilDOTkumarATautodeskDOTcom

> If you are under subscription then you can raise a ticket with our Product Support. So that someone from support can examine your system directly to understand the issue better.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report