Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File History

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
517 Views, 3 Replies

File History

Hello everyone,

This is something more of a cuisoity then anything else. We get drawings from clients in the form of a markup (Scanned PDF). We want to be able to store the markups inside of the vault. Now because we don't actually 'generate' the pdf we can't 'check out' the file, edit then 'check in'.

We noramally rename the file to the DOC#-DATE-TIME.pdf and store inside of a folder that has all of the other files, this can lead to a great deal of cofusion when looking for a particular 'revision' markup. Ideally I want to be able to store them inside of the vault and be able to 'roll' through the history of the file (and of course the file name would only be DOC#.pdf)

What would everyone recomend so that we can have a 'file revision/version' history inside of the vault?

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
olearya
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Ashley,

You can check in and check out pdf files.  There is no "in-product" functionality, but using the Vault explorer you simply need to right click on the pdf, select "Get / Checkout", this will copy the pdf locally as checked out.  Copy the new version of the markup to your workspace replacing the copy you just downloaded from Vault and from Vault Explorer right click and "Check In"

Note that you can actually do this without getting a local copy (Just check out) but thought this might be a good check that you are copying the new version to the right workspace location.  Obviously the files need to be checked back in from the same working directory path and have to have the same name.

I hope this helps.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: olearya

I'll give this a go when i am at the office next, but it sounds like it will work for me

Thank you

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you, This works but it is a bit clunky.

I will have to make sure who ever I show this too knows what they are doing and can verify that the new file is now in the vault.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report