Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Could not process file

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
cadman4st8
1955 Views, 18 Replies

Error: Could not process file

Just upgraded to Vault Collaboration 2012 and now the Plot Manager is giving me this error.  What is going on?????

Plot Manager Error.JPG

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mollons
in reply to: cadman4st8

It may be that you haven't set a default project file yet?

Go to Tools > Options. Check if you have a project file set in the bottom of the dialog.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 19
cadman4st8
in reply to: mollons

I  have project file set in the bottom of the dialog.

Message 4 of 19
mollons

Have you updated the references for those files?

Try picking one of the idws, highlighting it in Vault, and go to Actions > Update File Reference.

After running that try batch plotting that idw again and see if the error persists.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 19
cadman4st8

Same error message.

Message 6 of 19
mollons

Okay, I'm looking for someone here who can help us figure this out.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 19
jddrinkwater

We get this fairly frequently, close Vault and Inventor, then start the task manager and check for any instances of inventor still running under 'processes'.  Kill any that remain.  Restart Vault and try your plot again.

In our experience plot has difficulty switching between idw and dwf, and it is actually Inventor which has crashed and caused the plot to fail.

Good luck, 

John

Message 8 of 19
cadman4st8
in reply to: jddrinkwater

I have seen that to, but not the same issue here.  I tried what you suggested and the same result...error.

Message 9 of 19
jddrinkwater

I don't have any other ideas to help the immediate situation, but you could try finding one of the .idw's in question and clicking 'update view' from the preview screen.  Then try to plot again.  The plot should grab the DWF instead of the IDW.  If it plots successfully, then the problem is likely with Inventor, and not Vault, and may help Autodesk focus in on the issue.

Cheers,

John

Message 10 of 19
carrie.ruan

John's suggestion makes sense, the error may be cause by data migration, the inventor application, device or other reasons...

So could you please try following workflow include John's suggestion to help us tracking it?

1. Batch Plot those files with virtual printer.  E.g.. Microsoft XPS document.  Please describe/attach the error if it is failed too.  

2. Please try to open one of idw file in Inventor, and then Batch Plot it, please describe/attach the error if it is failed too.  

Regards,

Carrie

Message 11 of 19

Job Processor uses the admin project file setting rather than the one under Tools -> Options. Could you try setting the project file under Tools -> Administration -> Vault Settings as well?

--

Kit

Ying Kit
Message 12 of 19

I have just verified that it is and has been set.

Message 13 of 19
JamesMcMullen

Are these files assigned to a category?  If so, the current state of the files potentially has a different security model.  Is it possible to see if you can check out the file with the Job Processor user and do an undo check-out?  Also, did the Job Processor change in the sense does it no longer recognize the file type?  This can be done by bringing up the Job Processor and selecting “Administration” -> “Job Types”.

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 14 of 19
mollons
in reply to: JamesMcMullen

cadman4st8,

Have you solved this? If so, can you share the resolution with this thread?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 19
cadman4st8
in reply to: JamesMcMullen

I just checked the Job Processor and every file type is checked.

Message 16 of 19
gvlaming

Hi,

Did you get this resolved in the end? I'm facing the same error and the above tips and hints did not solve the issue.

Best regards, Gerrie

Message 17 of 19
tra_topsoe
in reply to: gvlaming

Have you found an answer for this error?

A user has received this message recently while trying to do several batch print jobs.

I may have found one, but want to find out what others have found so far.

Message 18 of 19
tra_topsoe

I should have just put what I found instead of asking what other people have found.

I am an IT support technician, so I got involved when one of our engineers asked for help when this trouble started, and this is the steps I took to resolve it with him.  It may not work for everyone, but hopefully it does.

Bob was asked to provide some prints to a contractor that was hired to assist during an expansion project at our site.  Bob went into Vault and tested how to get the 11x17 page to print correctly as a hardcopy and PDF, and was able to get the first DWG to print to his printer, but when he immediately went back in to create a new Batch Plot job and print it as a PDF, he would get the error message as stated in the original post: "Error: Could not process file".  I was at his desk and tried several different ways of getting it to print, but at first the only way seemed to be by closing the program, and going back into Vault and starting a new Batch Plot job.  I told him I would do some research, and found several suggestions in several forum posts, but no real answers.  But, one of the suggestions did get me to thinking about why the process would work if the user shuts down the software, and then restarts it, so I went back to Bob, and tried the following steps.  First I asked him to close all software associated with Autodesk (AutoCAD and Vault).  I then had him start up Task Manager of Windows to see what processes (Processes tab) start up when using Vault and while doing a Batch Plot job.  I was thinking that maybe there would be a process that we could find that was locking up, and stopping the software in the background.  Bob started Vault, and selected a DWG, and clicked on Plot.  The Plot Manager screen came up, so he excluded the layouts that he did not need, and chose the printer he needed to print to, and the clicked Submit, and everything worked fine.  He brought up the Task Manager several times during the process, and nothing looked out of the ordinary, as it worked and the processes associated showed CPU activity, and then after the print finished, the processes looked as if they had stopped.  But, this is where I think the problem really lies.  I asked him to leave the Task Manager up for a bit, and never saw the Vault application (Application tab) show "Not Responding", which would be the normal action of a program that has locked up, but I did notice that the two processes (Processes tab) associated with Vault were still changing the amount of memory they have utilized.  The CPU column did not show major usage, but the memory would go up, and then at some point after the job finished, the amount of memory started going down.  This led me to believe that something was still going on in the background, and it took time after the Batch Plot job to stop and reset itself to an idle state.  So after what was about a minute or two after the last job, I had him start a new Batch Plot job, but this time with multiple DWG files.  The Plot Manager screen came up, and he made the necessary changes, and clicked on submit, and it worked correctly this time as well.  Again, I had him wait for about another minute, or so, and all the while going back to Task Manager to watch the associated processes, and when it appeared the memory usage dropped and became steady, I had him try a third Batch Plot job.  Again, when in the Plot Manager screen, and after clicking on Submit, the pages printed correctly.

So I guess the only answer that I can give as a solution is that you have to wait for the process from the first job to completely stop before moving on to a second Batch Plot job.  The computer we are using is a pretty hefty machine: Intel i7, 16GB RAM, NVidia 2GB video card, etc., so you may see different results, and may have to wait longer depending on the resources on your machine, but waiting about a minute or two seems to work.

Message 19 of 19
sfillion13

I had this problem with the Autodesk Vault Pro. 2014 for a long time.
I finally found the solution this morning.
Just upgrade " Microsoft.net " to version 4.6.1 and reboot.
Everything works fine for me after that.

S.Fillion

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report