Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWF Creation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cbenner
281 Views, 3 Replies

DWF Creation

Can onyone tell me, when I manually create a dwf from the Vault Pro 2011 client,... where does this process actually take place?  Is it being created locally on my PC,... or is it happening on the Vault server machine?

DWF creation seems to be our biggest time lag, whether I do it myself, or have them created when the files are checked in.  Job Server has been a big bust, since it won't seem to work when my back is turned.  And with 2013 right around the corner... before I even consider migration I want to know where (if anywhere) I should throw some money to try to speed this part of the process up.  Local machines or the server.  IT told me this was the question to ask... where does the process occur?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

With my current development system using Vault Pro 2012 I have a dedicated HP Z400 workstation loaded with Autodesk Product Design Suite 2012 running my Job Processor.

The Job Processor seems to be a point of contention on here. I'm having no problems with it in my development area. I have the periodinminutes set to 1 in the Jobprocessor.exe.config file to get the JP to check in 1 minute intervals.

It does my property updates and DWF creation quite happily. May spread it out to a couple of boxes in a Production environment and tailor each box to perform specific tasks.

From your Vault Pro client on the Preview tab you have the option to update locally or queue update. Obviously locally uses your PC whereas queue uses the JP.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Message 3 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: Anonymous

I notice in my task manager that when I was (just now) waiting for a dwf creation that was going nowhere... that in the Processes tab, I had two instances of Inventor running, both pegged at 25% CPU and not moving.  Inventor software was not even open at the time.  So, I obviously have an issue somewhere which is choking off these large dwf's from being generated.  Smaller files are created in seconds.  With larger Inventor files, dwf creation generally results in a session of staring at the rolling donut.

JP does not sound like a good option for us, since I cannot spare either a PC or a lisense of IV for it to run.  So, ideally, I'd like to create them on check-in.... but I have to get past this donut issue first.

Stephen, thanks... that was helpful in understanding where my issue was localized.  Now I just need to diagnose why.

Message 4 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: cbenner

Ok, in tracking this down the question was asked:  Is the DWF creation process more memory intensive or processor?  The process monitors seem to show it as a little of both.  The larger files tend to peg out one whole processor and then... die.  At the same time, they appear to be chewing up memory.  I have 12g RAM.  I would think that should be plenty.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report