Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRAWING REFERENCES OLD VERSION OF PART

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cliff.haynes
666 Views, 9 Replies

DRAWING REFERENCES OLD VERSION OF PART

I have a drawing that consistently references an old version of a part file. When I open the drawing from Vault, it pulls in REV A instead of the latest, REV B. This gives me the 'triangle' glyph beside the part name.

To remedy this, I have tried to 'Get Revision' by right clicking on the file in the Vault browser bar within Inventor. After I 'get' the latest rev, I perform a global update by clicking on the lightning bolt with the plus sign. Then the drawing updates to the correct geometry.

I check the drawing file back in, but next time I open it I see it references REV A of the part.

Does anyone know how to force the drawing to reference the latest Revision?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

After getting the latest version of the Part and updating the drawing, did you save the drawing and check-it in? Also can you please check the version that the drawing is using when you use "Get/Check out" command on the drawing in Vault Explorer client?

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 10
cliff.haynes
in reply to: cliff.haynes

Yes, I can save the drawing and check it in but it still references the old version of the part when I open it.

I have discovered that this is not an issue when I open the drawing from within inventor, but using vault explorer it is an issue.

Message 4 of 10

We may have to look into the dataset and system to find out more on this issue. Please raise a ticket with Product Support on this so that someone from Support can look into this.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 5 of 10
dcanup
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

This is an issue our company has also.  We commonly find this problem even though we've gone through and checked out all levels including the drawings and made sure all files were up to date before checkign in.  Very high on our concern list.

Donny J. Canup
Drafter/CAD Administrator
Mainstream Engineering
Message 6 of 10
jweiss1313
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

We have this issue as well occasionally with Inventor drawings and assemblies when opening them from the Vault Client.  We submitted this as a bug a long time ago and we were told by Autodesk support that opening files from the client is not the preferred method to open Inventor files.  When you open the files from Inventor, they always pull in the correct version/revision.

There is definitely something wrong when you get the incorrect child version from the client.

I hope this helps!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 7 of 10
csmac2004
in reply to: cliff.haynes

Add our company to the growing list... It is happening here as well. Opening a drawing from Vault Explorer is not getting the latest revision.

The suggested workaround is workable, but not acceptable in my opinion. Has Update 1 for 2013 addressed this? We haven't installed that yet.

Scott

Scott MacDonald
Inventor 2013 Product Design Suite
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 8 of 10
jweiss1313
in reply to: csmac2004

I agree with you Scott.  It is abolutely unacceptable when a data management tool does not manage your data properly.  This is core functionality and must be fixed!  I don't understand why this is not a priority.

You should be able to open a file from the Vault explorer and get the right versions just like you do in Inventor.  If it does not work and is not the preferred method to open parts, do not allow file open on Inventor files from the Vault client.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 9 of 10
BSchubring
in reply to: jweiss1313

This is happening to us as well, in connection with a seperate issue. Details in this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Help-me-understand-this-icon-and-its-possible-causes-ha...

The posts on the second page get into the meat of this topic. I thought I had solved an issue where Version A had been marked released, and people were pulling old versions (which were in vault terms "quick edits" after release). So, I revved to B, and was disappointed to see the same behavior with the new triangle icon. I really thought that was going to work.

Open from Vault, you get one result. Open from Autocad, different results. Unacceptable.

Message 10 of 10
matt.smith
in reply to: BSchubring

I suspect that BSchubring is correct. 

The current behavior for Vault Explorer when double clicking on a file is that is that it gathers up dependent files with the following settings:

• Get Latest
  • Release Biased.

I'm guessing that the "Release biased" behavior is what is unexpected for users in this thread.  Release biased will cause gathered files to not always be the latest (when there is a released version of a dependent file that is not the latest).  There isn't a way to customize what open from Vault Client does.

Workarounds:

1. Do the gathering that you want (by using Get/Checkout).  Then do RMB->Go to working folder and double-click open from Explorer.
  2.  Open using the Vault commands from the application (i.e. Invenotr, AutoCAD).  In those commands you can specify what gathering options you want (i.e Latest, non-release biased).

I realize that this won't satisfy most on this thread--I just want to explain how it is currently working and what your options currently on.  I'm guessing different people with different roles will have different opinions on what the "double-click to open" behavior should be.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report