Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drawing hiarchy advice

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JimSteinmeyer
202 Views, 1 Reply

drawing hiarchy advice

Ok i am looking for a good way to save parts and assemblly drawings.

First, I come from a background where every part has a number and seperate drawing. If one component in the assembly changes, it creates a new assembly number and a vew drawing. Different options are each numbered and BOMs are generated for each finished product. Fast forward to my current position.

We generate several different base model trailers. If a different size of tire is desired by the customer we may need to use a different length of spindle on the axle. We may use several different lengths or offsets of axle in the same base model.. My responce is fine, I will just make different numbers and drawings for each different option. no big deal. The boss came to me and would llike the base model drawing to show the different options (preferably black lines for base and other colors for options). He was here a couple of weekends ago and did not like drawings that said "see drawing XXXXX for subassembly details". He would like to pull the top level drawing and have all associated drawings, and optional drawings, come up as well.

My question is: is there a way to append these sub assembly drawings to the top level drawings? He would like all multi-use subassemblies to pull with each top level that it could go with. I suspose there is some iLogic or programing that I could do for this but *I am allready here 55 -60 hours and don't really have time to learn programing at this point. Are there other ideas that I could try?

We are using vault 2012 and Inventor 2012 with one last autoCAD hold out as well.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Cadmanto
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

Hi Jim,

Yeah, I know where you come from!!!  Smiley LOL

In trying to follow what you are trying to outline my experience has been I have done it both ways.

Seperate drawings for each configuration and one drawing for all configurations.

Pros to the seperate things is that you can clearly define each individual config wothout the clutter of the rest.

Cons are that there are extra and sometimes excessive files as well as documents.

Pros to the consolidated is you have less files and documents

Cons are that the electronic files can be dog slow.

Iin answer to your question you can call up the on drawing RC on the "Sheet 1"  in the property manager

and select copy.  Go to the receiving drawing RC in the open field of the drawing ans select "Paste".

I just did this to prove that it would work and it did.

Hope this helps you buddy!!!

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report