Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document preview as thumbnail for pdf's rather than Adobe icon

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jlane
1129 Views, 5 Replies

Document preview as thumbnail for pdf's rather than Adobe icon

We'd like to have a document preview of a pdf for its thumbnail rather than the Adobe or Bluebeam icon.  This is true for both the Vault Pro 2015 Client and web-based version of Vault 2015 (Thin Client).

Is there a setting (or a method of checking in) that would capture document preview for a pdf similar to .dwg, .ipt, & .iam files?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Neil_Cross
in reply to: jlane

This would probably need confirmed by Autodesk, but I'm 99% sure the answer is no.  It's a good idea and a nice to have, but I think technically it's not possible.

As far as I know, thumbnails are generated by the CAD application and captured by Vault during the check-in.  PDFs tend to be dragged and dropped into Vault which is a process that wouldn't be capable of generation a thumbnail image.  

Would be a good one for the IdeaStation, but as Autodesk aren't in a hurry to fully support PDF creation in Vault I would doubt they'll dedicate dev time to this.

Message 3 of 6
cvdcage

Hi Jlane,

We've been looking for this aswel. Autodesk does not provide a proper PDF iFilter with Vault so you have to install a 3rd party one. Adobe has one and I found iFilter v9 to work best with our Vault 2015 on Windows 2012.

I found this guide (.doc download) to explain it pretty easy and it full-content indexes all PDF files quite well.

Unfortunately Adobe PDF iFilter does not have an option to index the icon/thumbnail as it apparently does not work for server versions. Even followings guides like these dont seem to work.

Kind regards,

Christiaan

Message 4 of 6
jlane
in reply to: cvdcage

Thx for the whitepaper Christiaan.  This has put me in the right direction, I will investigate further.

Message 5 of 6
jlane

Does anyone use the Vault Office license?  Maybe this provides the functionality we're looking for?

Message 6 of 6
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: Neil_Cross

BTW, if Office document (ex. Word file) has the thumbnail embedded (user need just enable  "Save Thumbnail" option  on save dialog box) Vault (mine is 2014) does show it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report