Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need to use the Reference Repair Utility?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
guyh
421 Views, 3 Replies

Do we need to use the Reference Repair Utility?

Hello,

I am planning an upgrade to Vault basic 2013 from Vault basic 2011.  On the test server I have imported a 2011 backup and now finally may have the option to pruge the Vault again.  In 2013 purge is disabled to allow me to run the RRU but when I try to run it on the entire Vault it will always crash and stop responding.  I am now faced with going through each folder at a time which I really do not want to do!

My question is, do I really need to run the RRU on my Vault?  I ask this as we were late upgrading to Vault 2011 from Vault 2009 and as such this purge issue was known and the hotfix to disable purge (laughable I know) was already implemented.  Could I still have dangling relationships and as such need to run the RRU before the new Vault goes live?

Thanks,

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
minkd
in reply to: guyh

You don't need to run the RRU before the vault goes live. For large vaults, it can take quite a while for the RRU to open each assembly and compare the relationships known by CAD to the relationships known by vault. Since that is a time consuming process, it was expected that customers would run it after migration while the vault is live. However, you should not enable file purge and start purging again until any missing relationships are restored. I would recommend running the RRU against only the latest versions since that will cover what the majority of the users are likely to be working with (especially with Vault Basic). There should be much less for the RRU to do, so maybe it will finish? If users encounter an assembly with missing relationships, they will be prompted to resolve to the correct child when it is opened in CAD. Once the latest versions are all good, that should no longer occur. In any case though, the RRU is supposed to be able to scan the whole vault, so if it is breaking down; I'd recommend opening a Product Support case. This way the problem will be tracked, and hopefully found and fixed. -Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
guyh
in reply to: minkd

Thanks for the reply and info.  We came from Vault 2009 which limited us to 5 versions when purging.  Moving to 2011 we have not been able to Purge, as such out Filestore now sits at about 140Gb.  The reality is this could be about 50gb.  It's good to know we can run the RRU over a period with an active Vault, I had assumed as such but the preference was to run it prior to go live.  I have been testing the tool on the test Vault and specific folders.  I keep having an issue where the RRU tells me it has encountered errors on certain files and would I like to try run the tool again on them.  I select yes but it makes no difference, if I then follow the paths listed in the Vault I see the folder structure it is trying to check does not exist!  They have been moved or deleted.  What can I do in this instance?  It seems there is no way for me to achieve an output xml file.

I should say I have patched Vault 2013 to SP 1 Update 2 (Server and Client).

Cheers,

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Message 4 of 4
minkd
in reply to: guyh

I recommend opening a case with Product Support so they can diagnose why you are getting errors. -Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report