Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Check in of design files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
PhilMillard
1584 Views, 5 Replies

Disable Check in of design files

I'm going to raise this on the Idea Station, but before I do...

Does anyone have any genuine legitimate reasons for unchecking "Disable check in of design files" in the Vault application options?

I'm assuming most answers may be centred around 2D data files whereby it's more convenient to check in via the Vault Client.  Just wondering if there are any other reasons that I can't think of.

Personally, as much as I love choice & options, I think this should be removed from the product completely.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ryan
in reply to: PhilMillard

If you have relationships between files (e.g. Inventor, AutoCAD DWG's using XREFS), then you MUST check these files in via the add-in in order for the relationships to be captured. If you are using vault to manage these types of files, the allowing check-in of design files via vault explorer is RARELY a good idea.

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 3 of 6
ryan
in reply to: ryan

Sorry, after posting I re-read your message and it sounds like you already understand the merits of checking in design files via their respective applications and are wondering about the cases where you would want to allow the check-in from Vault Explorer.

Main reason you would allow this would be bulk-loading data into the vault, usually when dealilng with 2D AutoCAD files that are "flat" (no relationships). Even here, there are some downsides (e.g. you woudn't get DWF files).  But, in some cases, loading data into the vault this way can be very effective if the conditions are right. 

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 4 of 6
Neil_Cross
in reply to: ryan

Sorry I posted this message using the wrong account.

Thanks for the response and yes I suspected the only reason would be for bulk loading of 2D data.  I've come across far too many situations now in multiple different companies whereby people are unchecking this box without understanding the implications, subsequently destroying thousands of file links.  The prompt warning people relationships will be lost isn't effective enough to deter them from solving an "immediate" problem that they need to overcome there and then.

Thanks, I'll take this to the idea station.

Message 5 of 6
steveh3
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Once in a blue moon (1 or 2 times a year) I have to toggle this setting off for a few minutes to get a Inventor file into Vault. Usually these are huge assemblies and more times than not it's dealing with textures (.bmp's) within the assembly. Once we get the assembly into Vault we are good to go, but have to add the file via Vault Explorer rather than using the Add-In. From this point forward, doesn't seem to be an issue with these assemblies.

My 2 cents

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 6 of 6
tmoney2007
in reply to: PhilMillard

If you are going to make an idea station post, I would request that drag and drop work through the client for files with relationships.

Provided that the user has inventor or autocad on their computer, it should be possible to make that work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report