Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIRTY FILES

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
brendan.henderson
2174 Views, 22 Replies

DIRTY FILES

I'm after a clear explanation of what I am doing wrong because these **** dirty files keep propagating.

Using Vault Basic 2012 Update 1, Build 16.1.58.0 and Inventor 2012 PDS SP2. I have 2 project files being Library and Projects, setup by my VAR.

Below is a graphic of an iam I have checked out as an Administrator. I'm trying this check out library files thing as a method of stopping/limiting these dirty files. I have fully updated this assy and it is current and local.

Capture1.JPG

The next graphic shows this assy placed into a new Library project iam file and immediately the placed assy becomes dirty. HOW? All I have done is placed it, no mates, no edit, nothing. Please someone explain this to me!

Capture2.JPG

If I refresh the dirty assy from Vault I get nothing, it is still dirty. Please help!

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23

Hi,

Your situations is a lot different than the Vault pro is meant to work with. We are releasing all files. How are you going to handle this with Vault Items and the PLM or ERP connection in future? To my opinion your situation could work for us as well, but since we have implemented the software with the idea to use Items we need to configure Vault different and use the release process as Vault defines it. Actually you have configured Vault pro as if it is Vault Basic, isn't it?

I am using Inventor 2018.3.4.  Vault Pro 2018.1 (ADMS is actually 2019).

We are using also Vault 2018 and inventor 2018 and Autocad(Mechanical) 2018

We do not use Vault for releasing because we have multiple jobs constantly ongoing.  We also have an ongoing constantly changing project However, I do mark some files as "Released" just so that they are not changed or even checked-out.  These are basically things like Vendor parts,i.e., nuts, bolts, washers... other purchased items. We are releasing all files. So we have a complete release process. As Vault is to be configured default.

You are correct, in that once a file is marked as "released" it is then read-only and no change can be made to that part. Are you the Vault administrator? Do you know that you can set life-cycle based permissions? I am an engineer with the administrator rights and take the responsibility for it partly. Yes I know about the Lifecycle permissions, but if you are not very careful with it, it does do more wrong then good for the files..

I see what you are saying with the example of the spark plug. We deal with this too. But we also keep copies of "As-Built" sets... which are stored off-site as PDF files. We have to track how things are built for service purposes. This is another approach as how and where Vault was meant for.

In our example, if we change the spark-plug, the standard number for the ign sys, motor or car does not change.  We would bump the revision level of the ign system and note the change there.  Of course, the motor and car assembly would have to be updated (checked out, saved, checked-in), but that would be the end of it. But all the changes further in other assemblies (where used)are then for the other colleague. To my opinion this is a very unusable situation.  If any of those were marked "Released", they would not be available for the user to update them.... unless they have the necessary permissions.

On the example where you said the design with 20,000 files were updated.... did all 20,000 files require an update (check-out, save, check-in)? One way this could happen would be if all the parts were driven from a skeletal model and the skeleton changed.  Then that change would/could propagate thru all the associated files. We use Skeletal designs a lot because our product is hardly impossible to design without.

Kirk

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 22 of 23

@karthur1 

@brendan.henderson 

@DustinSmith7222 

@magnus.damgren 

Have you found a method that works for you regarding the topic?

Hope that we can learn from each other.

I appreciate your reply on this. You can also send me a private message if you prefer.

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 23 of 23

@bradeneuropeArthur wrote:

@karthur1 

@brendan.henderson 

@DustinSmith7222 

@magnus.damgren 

Have you found a method that works for you regarding the topic?

Hope that we can learn from each other.

I appreciate your reply on this. You can also send me a private message if you prefer.

Regards,

Arthur,

I have not found an "absolute" solution to not having dirty files.  I still have an occasional assembly that complains about wanting to be checked-out/saved.   I currently have one that constantly complains about wanting to be check-out/saved. 

In the op's original post, I do know "how" to produce the scenario that is shown there.  It is showing the 04000-999000.iam as being edited out-of-turn.  Since that's the case, the iams above it could now require saving. Not exactly sure how or why it got in this state.

This is a little different from the case that I have trouble with, where sub- iam is constantly wanting to be saved when it's parent iam is opened and there are no changes to any of the parts inside the sub.

Capture.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report