Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dirty files for no reason??

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
will_hebden
467 Views, 4 Replies

dirty files for no reason??

Hi

It seems to me that whenever i do anything within inventor files become dirty for no reason, which is really starting to annoy me!

for example.
I work on a new assy with vaulted components, each component was taken from the 'get latest version' option in vault 4, on placing each component the files are clean and don't require saving, i then start to constrain one component to another and on clicking the apply button a dialog box comes up asking if i want to check out about 5-10 different components from within the new assy, half of which are completely unrelated parts from which i am constraining, i select no to each(because they haven't changed!!!). i have sorted the assy out several times by saving then closing, then getting the latest version of all the components that were made dirty and then reopening, but this is very time consuming!

The same thing happens if i do almost anything to the assy, i.e. delete components, modify constraints, replace component etc.

note:
it isn't just this one assy, it is happening on a large amount of our assy's and is also happening with other users (not just me!)

i have already unchecked update, mass properties and resolution changes in the save tab of the application options

i have left rebuild all checked in the application options. could this have anything to do with it?

Inventor 10SP3a Vault 4 build 10.0.97.0

Kind regards

Will H
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wavemaster
in reply to: will_hebden

I have parts/assemblies with a revision count of over 20. Actual revisions that I made? 3 maybe, the rest are Vault doing its thing. I have stopped trying to figure it out.

Let me give you one of my favorite examples:
suppose I want to make a new drawing of an existing assembly;
Vault wants to check out the main assembly, I am thinking WTF, I am not changing the assembly, so I say no.
Later I come back to see that the assembly is now flagged for being changed while it was not checked out.

OK, another one:
Existing drawing of an existing assembly;
open up the drawing and add parts list;
Vaults wants to check it out....

The general Vault concept is attractive but the implementation is clumsy, dangerous, confusing etc.

Robert
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: will_hebden

wavemaster <> writes:

> I have parts/assemblies with a revision count of over 20. Actual
> revisions that I made? 3 maybe, the rest are Vault doing its
> thing. I have stopped trying to figure it out.
>
> Let me give you one of my favorite examples: suppose I want to make
> a new drawing of an existing assembly; Vault wants to check out the
> main assembly, I am thinking WTF, I am not changing the assembly, so
> I say no. Later I come back to see that the assembly is now flagged
> for being changed while it was not checked out.
>
> OK, another one: Existing drawing of an existing assembly; open up
> the drawing and add parts list; Vaults wants to check it out....

This is an Inventor problem and has nothing to do with Vault. If
Inventor thinks it needs to update a file it wants to have it checked
out, of course. Why Inventor does that is a different matter and I
would like to know that, too.

The above example is more understandable. Since parts lists are now
tied to model BOMs and model BOMs are disabled by default Inventor
needs to enable the BOM in the assembly, which naturally affects the
assembly and dirties it.

Matthias
Message 4 of 5
CAD-One
in reply to: Anonymous

I wish that this discussion had an answer. I often run into this too.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

The above stories are completely the same in our company.

Are there any findings regarding this.

We work since 2007 with Vault basic and we have been decided (by resellers) that we needed vault pro since 2012.

Since that date (2012) it hasn't become easier for the inventor user to use the software.

For our company I know that our engineering time has been doubled.

What I can remember is that the Vault pro software should reduce the engineering time, isn't it?

Was it a mistake to take the step of using Vault pro instead of using Vault basic or not using Vault at all?

Since we have many problems we are very skeptical about using further functionality of Vault pro (Items)

A few examples:

• Creating designs with inventor has become more complex because of the given facts that some features and mechanisms have to be used with care or should not be used at all. This means that inventor needs to be downgraded when working together with Vault pro. 
  • Updating unwanted dirty files by the user or by inventor (we don't know why) are that time-consuming that we need 2 employees fulltime for it to update the designs. So this means we doubled the engineering-time and also the quantity of employees.
  • Creating workarounds is a fulltime job as administrator.
  • There are many more.

I am looking forward to your opinions and findings.

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report