Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between library and normal folder

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mzmeister
1152 Views, 2 Replies

Difference between library and normal folder

Hello NG,

i have a general question: I recently set up a new vault basic server. I then added different folders and also a folder for content center files. Now i made the mistake, to not define the content center folder as a library folder, i just made a normal folder for all library parts. Meantime i have about 100 desings with many content center parts (mostly screws) in the vault. Does the failure of not defining the content center folder as a library bring problems to me?

And if so, is there a way to migrate the content center folder to a library folder? i have now many designs with revision stages i need to keep so i cannot delete all of them and get them new into the vault with a new library folder.

Generally i would like to know whats the difference if there is a folder defined as library and if not..

Or is this not a problem for the designs?

Any hints would be very helpful!

Greetings

Alexander

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ryan
in reply to: mzmeister

It's only a UI setting within the vault, functionally they behave the same.  

Having your Content Center folder in vault showing as a regular folder won't cause you any trouble.

-Ryan

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 3 of 3
alain_miltenburg
in reply to: ryan

Hi Ryan,

That is actually not true. There are indeed some functional differences between library and normal folders.

First of all, sub folders within a library folder cannot be moved. As a result, iFactories that were created or moved into a library folders cannot me moved anymore when any of its members exist in the member folder.

Another difference is the way Copy Design handles files within library folders. By default library sub components are reused and not even shown in the user interface.

Alain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report