Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Review and Vault

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dvsmiller9
1220 Views, 2 Replies

Design Review and Vault

OK. Since Design Review is no longer being updated in its current form what will happen to viewing and editing DWF files in Vault.  I do not relish the thought of having to rely on an internet connection to use a 360 version with my on-premise Vault Pro installation.  We don't have any plans to implement PLM 360 or any other internet only based solution for our intellectual property.  We like keeping our business critical data on in-house servers and 100% uptime reliable internet access just isn't a reality.

If Design Review will eventually be retired I would hope that some incarnation of a DWF editing tool be incorporated into Vault and not rely on internet connectivity.  I'm just getting my users familiar with the capabilities and workflow of DWF with Vault.

While we're on the subject of DWF, can anyone explain why a 1Mb scanned PDF file opened in Design Review balloons to 5Mb when saved in DWF or DWFx format?  All 2D pixel graphics.  Shouldn't DWF just bundle a PNG or JPEG in a ZIP style, maybe with some XML headers?  Is Design Review trying to convert a raster image into vector format?  Or is it converting a relatively efficient raster format to an inefficient one (like BMP).  I asked on the DWF forum but did not get a technical reason why.  I am trying to standardize on DWF for consistency and redlining in Vault but if all my scans are going to get a 5X size increase I'll just stick with PDF.

Thanks

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BLHDrafting
in reply to: dvsmiller9

Below is a link to a nice article on this DR matter. Indicates that DR 2013 is compatible with 2014 DWF files, and that DR may not be dead, yet.

http://cadablog.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/the-fate-of-autodesk-design-review.html

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 3 of 3
cbenner
in reply to: BLHDrafting

DR may not be dead, but they have not definitively said that it will NOT go to a cloud based only product.  I'm eagerly awaiting whatever clarification may be ocming on that, as we use this product every day in several different ways, and have no desire currently to move to a cloud based anything.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report