Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a user

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tahdesign1
424 Views, 8 Replies

Deleting a user

We have the free Vault right now (2012) and I am about to move to pro 2014.

As a method of "releasing" files in the free Vault I had a number of fake users for specific production areas with the words Release in the name.

These users NEVER created any files. However when I want to release and protect a given design, I would log in as that fake user. Then I would check out all the design files WITHOUT downloading the files. This basically left these files locked by being checked out to that fake user. 

So I am trying to tighten some things up before we move for the upgrade where I will have true "Releasing" ability. The one thing I am doing trying to get ride of these fake users. I make sure that the fake user does not have anything checked out but I do not see where I can actually delete them.

Is it possible to deal a user?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: tahdesign1
Message 3 of 9
tahdesign1
in reply to: cbenner

Yeah I was afraid of that and kind of already knew the answer. I can rename the users so I guess i can do that to force the down bottom. These users never actually created any content. However they were used to check stuff out to (without downloading) in order to lock it up.

Message 4 of 9
cbenner

Not sure if it's already been suggested, but you may want to look in the Idea Station.  This would be a good request:  The ability to create and delete "Test" users in the Vault, whose actions are not needed for any legacy data.  I think that would be useful.

Message 5 of 9
ryan

Since one core feature of vault is to "capture history", deleting users is not an option (otherwise, you wouldn't have an accurate history of who did what).   However, they can be disabled or renamed.

-Ryan

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 6 of 9
tahdesign1
in reply to: ryan

I agree that design change history is one of the core reason for teh Vault. However, the users that i am talking about NEVER made a design change. They did check files out WITHOUT downloading from the Vault in order to lock them up.

I will be renaming them with something like ZZZ in front of the names to force them to the bottom of the list.

I also like the previous suggestion of posting this on the Idea station in the light of have test users that you can get rid of.

Message 7 of 9
BeKirra

I don't know much about vault.

Just a quick question.

In administration, would changing the role of those "fake users" be the answer? Thanks.

BTW, this is the 1st time that I know the user's name can't be removed from the database.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 8 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: BeKirra

Well, the bottom line really is that leaving a user name in the list does nothing but take up space if that user name is not associated with any activity.  It really doesn't hurt a thing to have them in there.  If they're gone from the company, what are the chances they are going to show up one afternoon and log into the Vault and mess things up?  But, yes, from an Admin POV... you could change the user's roles and permissions, and even change the passwords associates with an account if this is a legitimate concern.  I think I have 4 or 5 former employees still in the user list, I never think twice about it.

Message 9 of 9
tahdesign1
in reply to: cbenner

I agree that I would never want to delete a user that actually ever did any real work.

The users that I am talking about were just dumpy accounts that I created to check stuff out to as "released" to lock up the designs.

When I checked stuff out to them I did it WITHOUT downloading the files just to prevent users from editing them.

When someone needed to revise one of these design they would have to ask for them to be made available for the revision.

It was just my method of make the Free Vault have a locking release function.

I am in the process of developing the new deployments and rolling out Vault Pro so I will no longer have to use this work flow.

Was just trying to see if there was a way to get ride of them.

What I might do is just give them a temp name to force them to the bottom of the list.

Them when i need a new user I will rename one of these for that user account. Eventually I will get rid of them that way. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums