Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default AutoCAD Profile when opening file from Vault 2012

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
TheRuinner13
2154 Views, 10 Replies

Default AutoCAD Profile when opening file from Vault 2012

I searched and found no relavent topic.

Is there anyone that could tell me how to set a default profile to launch when a drawing file is opened from inside vault?

I have AutoCAD MEP 2012, AutoCAD Electrical 2012, and Vanilla AutoCAD 2012. I use MEP by far the most. I would like it to default to that "program".

It is curently launching AutoCAD Electrical.

Thanks,

Bill

Windows 7 Pro, HP Z400 w/Dual Acer Monitors, 24G Ram, AutoCAD 2013~2015e
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Andy.Spivey
in reply to: TheRuinner13

Bill,

What is the behavior when you open a DWG file directly from Windows Explorer?  (preferably testing with the same file that opens in AcadE when opening directly from Vault.

You could try changing the default program association for DWG in the OS to be MEP.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 3 of 11
TheRuinner13
in reply to: Andy.Spivey

Sorry,

I shouold have stated that I already tried that and it does not open the same.

Windows Explorer opens MEP, Vault opens AElec.

Thanks for the reply though.

Message 4 of 11
Andy.Spivey

Is the default program for DWG file type listed as MEP or as AutoCAD DWG Launcher?

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 5 of 11
TheRuinner13

...it magcally cleared up and seems to be opening up consistenty with MEP now.

There is no apparent reason for the change.

Message 6 of 11
Andy.Spivey

Bill - glad that it is doing what you want now.  Just to confirm, the file that was opening with AcadE is now opening with MEP and no change was done on the system?

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 7 of 11
TheRuinner13

..it went awry again. It's opening regular AutoCAD 2011 now.

I won't have time to fiddle with it this week. I'll be on the road for three days and trying to catch up the rest of the week.

Message 8 of 11
Rob.O

I am having a similar problem.  

On all of our Vault clients, selecting the "Open" option on a .DWG file in Vault (standard) will sometimes open the file in AutoCAD, but typically will open the file in TrueView.  It jumps back and forth with no ryme or reason.  It seems as if maybe it is looking for the "last application used", but I don't even use TrueView and neither do our users.

To be fair, this does not seem to be a Vautl 2012 problem as I have had this same issue back in Vault 2009 for a previous employer.

Is there a setting somewhere that controls this?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 11
Andy.Spivey

What value is returned for the following information in the registry?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\DwgCommon\shellex\apps\

Scratch that thought...

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 10 of 11
Rob.O

I had tried to set the "Open with..." program default on my old XP machine and could never get it to stick in the Vault Explorer even though double clicking on a .DWG file in Windows Explorer would always open it in AutoCAD.  I tried it earlier on this new Win7 machine and it seems to be working fine (at least so far today).

I have not tried any of the other users.  They are all using XP.  I will test it on a couple of machines and let you know how it goes.

And for what it's worth the Registry value is as follows on my Win7 machine:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\DwgCommon\shellex\apps]@="{F29F85E0-4FF9-1068-AB91-08002B27B3D9}:AutoCAD"

Thanks!

Message 11 of 11
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: Rob.O

On a related note, I found for certain that if you delete all profiles, the Vault Explorer is attempting to access the <<Vanilla>> profile, so it recreates it on purpose. 

One 'crazy' solution would be to replace the <<Vanilla>> profile with a copy of the company standard profile in the UserCacheData folder, but then if you need root vanilla back, you would have to get it from disc, or some other cleaver backup means.  In addition you would want to do the same to the default mechanical profile, that was all 3 profiles are the same.

So simply put, where does the Vault Explorer store the list of profiles it is trying to use.  Allow to Modify that list, and were done here.

jvj

jvj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report