Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Mirroring

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dbarroco
489 Views, 7 Replies

Database Mirroring

Hello,

Anyone has PS2009 with SQL mirroring enabled for automatic failover?

Any clues on its behaviour/setup?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: dbarroco

You may or may not be talking about enabling
replication - do NOT do this...

However, for Productstream, you can leverage the
"remote" SQL connect (custom install option) which would allow you to point to a
properly configured failover SQL server.  (given it's a virtual server
name.... no difference to the ADMS server)

--
Brian Roepke
Sr. Product Line Manager
Data
Management
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 8
dbarroco

I'm talking about the 'mirroring' feature in SQL2005. I'm still studying this, because unlike clustering - where you have a virtual server name - you configure the mirroring aspect (princioal, failover and witness server) directly in the main database.

i'm not sure how will it behave since i've got no virtual server name. I'll have to test this.

After enabling mirroring in my 'primary' instanced server - i'll - as you said - point to this primary server in the adms installation.

thanks for the tip on the replication feature.

Are there any developments regarding database failover in PS2010?

This client is just a step from upgrading his PS5 version, but i've got to fulfill this demands. (PS5 is not too good - they have a 4Gb filestore w/ 44mb of database - and some thousands items) PS can't get the list of some folders (vault explorer can). It timeouts...
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

You might want to log a support case and discuss
this with the team - there were MANY performance improvements in 2009 including
new technologies, etc that will improve the overall performance even down the
the viewing of folders.

as far as mirroring - I'm not sure what this is or
how it affects the database internally - I would check with
support.
Message 5 of 8
dbarroco

As for this PS5 issue we're witnessing, it seems (but it's not an official information though) that when you reach a certain amount of records within SQL Express, you get somewhat an internal loop that increases timeouts. This is what i've been told by IT department in a major worl wide costumer. Nothing granted here, so it's just speculation. On the other hand it could be a handicap on PS5 that, hopefully, would be resolved in PS2009. But as i'm about to migrate both PS5 to PS2009 (hopefully) and from SQL Express to SQL Enterprise, i won't have any clear responses on this. I'll try to search any responses on the web for this issue.

As for the mirroring, unlike clustering where you have failover at the server level, mirroring it's a failover at the databases level only. It's a synchronized replication between 2 servers. One goes down, the mirror takes over. The diddiculty here is that the name of the server changes, and PS doesn't know this server, so...it stops responding. (i got the chance to try this already)

As far as i could perceive, we would have to have an aoutomatic change on the software side (ADMS).

I believe that mirroring is gaining terrain due to the fact that you won't need a shared storage, so you have redundancy there, but it is not as transparent as clustering on the other hand. To try to perceive how fast mirroring is growing and if will costumers start adopting this technology seems an interesting issue to be discussed among you guys. I find that PS is not yet prepared to respond to high availability in a modular way.

With best regards,
David
Message 6 of 8
postventa-msd

Hi Sirs,

I'm traying to install two ADMS in two different Servers with clustered SQLServer AutodeskVault instance.

SQL is running in both of them and only services of ADMS will be balanced.

Inconvenience, the name of server when failover.

I tell you something.

Regards
Message 7 of 8
dbarroco

Hello,

I'm not as experienced as i would like to be in clustering issues, so there's a chance that what i say here might be wrong, but i'll risk it.

It seems to me that with the clustered SQL you won't have a problem since it's a virtual name, isn't that right? (so adms won't know who is in fact serving data).

As for balancing adms...that would be a nice trick except for that exact issue: the server name.

I'm sure there would be other ways, as i can only see redundancy at the server lever (eg. redundant virtualization) to have adms high availability, and preserving the server name.

I'll wait for your response.

David
Message 8 of 8
postventa-msd

Dear David,

Thanks for your response, it remind me that I tried run an AutodeskVault instance in two (but the same) virtual machines and it runs perfectly. SQL was installed in disc C and instance in disc D.
Disc D was the one that balanced between the two virtual machines.
The problem is, who runs the second virtual machine during failover?
I'm thinking about, our customer need a credible solution.
We keep in contact.
Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report