Vault General Discussion

Vault General Discussion

Valued Mentor
Lancasterm
Message 1 of 2 (366 Views)

Custom Objects - Vault Pro 2013

366 Views, 1 Replies
01-18-2013 03:32 AM

I have been looking at custom objects in Vault Pro 2013 to track our documents to our customer.   I am very close in nailing down the process in how this would occur but I have a couple of questions on custom objects..

1.   Is there a way to link a certain item revision (not always the latest) to a custom object/instance and have it maintained?   Meaning a document or drawing could've gone out at rev A to the customer but before its approved we are making revision B.  So in this process the custom object/instance would still have revision A linked and not updated to revision B.

2.  Is there a way to hide all of the custom objects and only have them shown for certain people?   Meaning when the project is completed/shipped I want to hide it or hidden from people who are not part of the project team.  Granted I can hide the information under the custom object using the security but I want to hide the custom object in the navigation pane as well.

3.  Is there a way to run a report on the entire custom object scope and not based on a given instance level? 

Regards

Vault Pro 2013 Service Pack 1

Employee
olearya
Message 2 of 2 (343 Views)

Re: Custom Objects - Vault Pro 2013

01-20-2013 12:44 PM in reply to: Lancasterm

Hi there,

Unfortunately I do not believe there is any way to lock the item release to a custom object - the link is maintained to the live object, be it file, item, Eco or other custom object and as such will update.  I can suggest perhaps looking at adding notes or a document detailing revisions Though this is quite manual.

In terms of access to custom objects take a look at the Access Control List available in the custom object configuration dialog - here you can set overall permissions for access to an object type.  This would allow you to block users from the object type.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0097-Administ97/0127-Client_A127/0140-Security140/0...

I may need more information on this last point but you should be able to create an advanced search that covers all custom object types and generate a report from these results. 

Hope this helps,

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Announcements
New button for Platinum & Gold Subscription customers
Gold & Platinum Subscription customers can alert Autodesk if they require assistance with their forum post

Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.