Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Object - Link Files

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cbenner
703 Views, 6 Replies

Custom Object - Link Files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

This reminds me of a feature in Solidworks called a "Design Binder" where you could imbed such files like you are talking about within your model or drawing file to keep them connected or linked to each other.  Then when they were checked into the Vault, everything would go in and stay connected.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

What I'm unhappy about (and this WILL go into the idea station), is that I can link a file to an object, but in the other direction I can only link an object to a FOLDER.  What I'd like, is the ability to link a document or notes or whatever, to a specific file or Item.  That way when the item is opened or viewed, the custom object is right there in front of everyone.

Specifically, we're noodling ways to capture in house machining notes that don't really need to be on the print, but should stay with it in some form.

I'm open to suggestions.  Our working document is a watermarked Item assigned to the idw file.  If anyone has ideas on how I could link a document or Object or... anything... to the Item so it comes up with the visualization, I'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks Scott!

Message 5 of 7
Cadmanto

Chris,

I know you can insert any object (i.e. Word, Excel etc.) into any Inventor file and it shows up unde4r a "3rd Party" folder in the browser.  There you can edit or callup the file in the program it was created in.  Would this work for you?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

That still requires opening the drawing in Inventor and adding the link.  Last resort since we have a lot of files this affects.  It would be preferable to fine a Vault solution.

Message 7 of 7
Cadmanto

Understand completely.  Smiley Wink

Just giving you another option to think about.  Smiley Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report