Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom iProperties in Inventor Drawing not updating in Vault 2012 Pro

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
jeff_jordan
7698 Views, 19 Replies

Custom iProperties in Inventor Drawing not updating in Vault 2012 Pro

I'm in the process of configuring Vault for deployment to the rest of our department.  I've created part templates with custom iProperties.  I've then created a drawing template that uses these custom iProperties (from the part) to populate the title block.  This was done through Tools>Document Settings>Drawing tab>Additional Custom Model iProperty Source>points to the part template previously mentioned.  All works great.

I'd like to sync the iProperties of the drawing with the part.  So I also configured the "Copy Model iProperty Settings" to copy the custom iProperties from the part.  When a new drawing is created, the custom iProperties are copied and everything works great.  When a custom iProperty is changed in the part, the drawing iProperty is updated using Manage>Update Copied Properties (I have yet to automate this through iLogic, but have plans to).  This works great!

HOWEVER, when I go to vault (files saved and checked in) and check the iProperties in Vault, the custom properties have not been updated.  The regular properties (such as the Project iProperty) have been updated, but no custom iProperties.

I created UDPs for all of the custom properties and mapped them to the custom iproperties in the Inventor file.  I've checked and rechecked the UDP (user defined property) mappings.  Am I missing something?  I figure it's just something I don't understand.  Has anyone else run into this problem?

By the way, I had to manually create UDPs for all of the custom iProperties.  Is this normal?  I would think there would be a more automated way of doing this.

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015 (Inventor 2015 Pro SP1, Vault 2015 Pro Update 1)
MacbookPro OSx 10.9, Boot Camp
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mikel_martin
in reply to: jeff_jordan

There is an option for each mapping called "Create". The tool tip on the column reads "Force create property in source".

By default this is set to "No". Try setting it to "Yes". This tells Vault to create the custom iProperty in the Inventor file if it does not already exist.

As far as assigning the Vault properties to the file this is typical done by assigning the properties to a Category and then applying that Category to the files.

Hope this helps.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 20
jeff_jordan
in reply to: mikel_martin

Mike,

Thank you for the reply.  The issue is not with creating iProperties.  "Create" will force the property in the source, but this is not needed since the properties are already in the templates.  Anyway, "Create" is switched yes.

I'm assuming your response was to my question about manually create UDPs in the Vault interface in the initial setup/configuration of Vault.  You can't toggle the "create" switch until the UDP is created.  This is all manual and I would think there would be a way for you to add UDPs based off a part or drawing template (since they already exist there).

Anyway, this is polluting the waters.  The real problem is with the custom iProperties in the part updating in Inventor, but not in Vault.  I've tried every combination of settings (even ones that I know aren't related) to get this to happen, but no go.  This is making Vault unuseable.

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015 (Inventor 2015 Pro SP1, Vault 2015 Pro Update 1)
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 4 of 20
mikel_martin

I guess I don't fully understand the issue.

Let me try again.

You are changing the iProperties in the model which then in turn changes the iProps in the drawing, correct?

When the properties update in the drawing does it cause a new version of the drawing to be created? In other words has the drawing been checked out and checked in after the properties in the model have changed?

If I am still misunderstanding your issue, I apologize.

Perhaps a video showing this issue would help.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 20
jeff_jordan

Mike,

Thanks again for your attention to this!  You're correct.  I change a custom iproperty in the part, then update the drawing iproperties through check-out/in.  When inside Inventor, the iProperties of the drawing are correct and reflect exactly what is in the part.  However, in Vault, the iProperties are completely different.  I've tried all three ways of syncing.  Pushing from the file to Vault, from Vault to the file, and synchronizing.  The iProperties in Vault don't reflect the actual iProperties as seen in Inventor.  This is the problem.

I'm not sure how to get a video over to you, but I can demonstrate this.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 6 of 20
jeff_jordan

The iProperties that are stock iProperties sync perfectly.  The custom iProperties do not.  I matched the mapping settings for the stock iProperties with the custom iProperties, and still the custom iProperties won't sync.  I've tested this with two separate vaults and the same result.  I can't believe someone else hasn't run into this issue!

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 7 of 20
jeff_jordan

I figured it out.  I didn't realize that you must also map the UDP to the Inventor DWG!!!!  So for those using .dwg as the drawing format instead of .idw, make sure that you also map the UDP to the Inventor DWG!  I was in panic mode for a while.  A lot was riding on us being able to sync custom iProps.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 8 of 20

Hi,

sorry to bother but what do you mean by "also map the UDP to the Inventor DWG". I currently have problems modifying mapped iproperties of inventor DWG in Vault.

I edit the UDP mapped to the iProperties in the standard way in Vault, the system answers me that the edit is performed but i see no change in the UDP (nor in the DWG).

If I perform the edit from Inventor everything works fine.

I have Vault Workgroup 2012 & Inventor Pro 2011

Thanks

RR

Message 9 of 20

You need to make a separate mapping to the .dwg.  See the attached image of this.  Let me know if this helps...and you're not bothering me.  In this community, we all need to help each other out.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 10 of 20

Hi Jeff,

thank for your answer.

I've already mapped the iprop to a UDP for Inventor DWG.(image1)

My problem is that even after an apparently succesful "Edit Properties" standard procedure in Vault (image2), i dont find my new value in the desired property (image3) and I cannot understand why!

Maybe I'm missing something!

Regards

RR

Message 11 of 20

In your third image, clock icons were shown.  This typically means that the ADMS needs a property re-index (normally what you need to do when messing around with the properties).  Try this...it may help.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 12 of 20

Hi Jeff,

no way. Vault keeps thinking to have changed my UDP-iprop property (also the History panel show me a new version caused by "Property Edit" (image) but no change in the value!

Thanks

RR

Message 13 of 20

No way the property index will work or it didn't work?  Were you able to try it?  This would be a property re-index, not search index rebuild.  And did you give it enough time to finish the rebuild?

I don't know what else to say, other than take a screen capture of your settings tab on your UDP and post them here.  Did you try a manual property sync using Actions>Synchronize Properties?  What was the effect?

I've had this happen to me before, but realized that it was something I was doing.  I can't recall what fixed it, but I swear it was a property re-index.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 14 of 20

Hi Jeff,

I performed property reindex but I noticed no change in Vault behaviour!

I let it run on all the files but no succes.

I also tried manual "Synrhonize Properties" but to no avail.

RIght now I cannot undestand if it's something related the drawing or else, I have my iProperties mapped in the Title Block of the drawing right now

I attached the settings of my UDP

After few more trials I noticed:

- if in my UDP settings I decide for univocity from Vault to Inventor, i can change the value of the UDP but I also encounter the "noncompliance equivalent" cause Vault tells me that my Vault Value is different from the iProp value.

- as soon as I activate the bi-univocity  the value from the Inventor Property wins and overwrites the Vault value of the UDP (and I think that it wins each time I perform an Edit Property)

Thanks

RR

Message 15 of 20

RR,

I'm sorry, but I can't tell from the images or your description what is happening/not happening.  Where does the information for the custom property originate?  If the value is always input using Inventor, the property should be mapped from Inventor to Vault.  Example:  Material is defined in Inventor and cannot be defined in Vault, therefore the property is mapped from Inventor to Vault.  Having a property mapped both ways means that when you make a change to the property in Vault, the Inventor property will also change.  However, if you do this, you must update your local (workspace) version of the file with the new property edits by using get/checkout.  This is because only the Inventor file in Vault was updated with the property change.  Your workspace doesn't know the change had been made.  Vault designates this with a special icon that tells you your local copy is the wrong version (the one in Vault is newer and your local copy needs to be updated).  For me (using Vault Pro) the icon looks like a red recycle symbol.  Also, try clearing your workspace before making property changes in Vault.

Hope this helps.

-Jeff

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 16 of 20

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your help.

To answer your questions:

- the information could be originate both from Vault or Inventor. Vault will be used in case of bulk changes of the same property or not to open Inventor to edit the simple property (new Properties are English Description, English Description etc )

- I perform the "Edit property" with my working folder empty, but I had no luck, cause I obtained the same Vault beaviour (vault report a succesfull Edit Property, but I had no change in UDP value). I presume Vault had also made a checkout - check in cause I can find a new version of the file

- I tryed to modify a Standard property of the inventor DWG "Comments" and I found that I cannot succesfully edit it , but this time I received an error from vault (see image)

Now I wonder if also fom my UDP is the same (even if Vault tells me differently) and I've to understand why it is "unable to access file"

Riccardo

Message 17 of 20
r.ricaboni
in reply to: commonsensesrl

Hi Jeff,

indeed it was related!

Here the solution (or better the workaround) to all my troubles!

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Vault-WorkGroup-2012-amp-Inventor-2011-INVENTOR-DWG-upd...

Thanks for your help.

Riccardo

Riccardo Ricaboni
CommonSense

Via Santa Maria alla Porta 9 - 20123 Milan,
Italy Office +39 0371 940225
Italy Mobile +39 333 7102414
Fax +39 02 93667107

http://www.commonsense.cc
Message 18 of 20
jeff_jordan
in reply to: r.ricaboni

I'm glad you found a workaround, however I can't believe Autodesk is asking you to "start and close Autodesk Inventor 2012 or Autodesk Inventor View 2012. This needs to be done after every Inventor 2011 SP2 session."  What a pain!

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 19 of 20
plasser.us

We have the same issue with some legacy Inventor dwgs. None of the UDP are not read for these drawings and when manually to edit properties in Vault it gives error meassge unable to access file.

After strugling with this for a while I found a work around, if I save Inventor.dwg drawing as .idw it it works. We dont have any autocad block in the drawings so I dont think we will be losing anything using this workaound.

Inventor 2012, Vault 2013 Pro Update 2
Windows 7, 64-bit

Message 20 of 20
mbaker

Help!

I have a very similar issue with Vault Pro 2016...

1. User create a new part model, and adds a description to that model.

2. User creates a idw of part model.

3. User adds a Part list to the part model drawing "Description" is populated from the Part model as it should - works perfect until...

4. User adds file to Vault. reviewing the part model the "Description" is populated from Inventor model and is correct - a Match. YES!

5. User checks part and idw out of vault, from the Inventor add-in, user receives the "Update property" dialog selection panel. NOTE, the property HAS NOT been edited in the Vault.

6. The user selects update properties, and low and behold the "Description" goes blank.

I have checked the property mapping, it is set as by-directional, property gets populated from Inventor initially, vault overwrites the property with a blank on check out. The "Description" property is mapped to Inventor part, assemblies, presentations, Drawings idw and DWG, and the file associations are set. I cannot seem to locate the issue. Properties have been re-indexed, created a new vault independent of the clients production vault and get the same exact behavior.

I'm lost, don't know where to look next...?

Mike B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report