Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct update procedure update 1?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
JorgenBjornes
676 Views, 8 Replies

Correct update procedure update 1?

in the readme it says:

"Database Update - applied ONCE from one Autodesk Data Management Server (ADMS) instance as specified.

1. WARNING: DO NOT PROCEED until Update 1 has been successfully applied on ALL ADMS servers.
  2. Use one instance of the ADMS Console on a single site, Multi-Site (file replication), and Connnected Workgroup (file and SQL replication) on a Publisher Workgroup only.
  3. Open a command prompt and navigate to the installed location of Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe.
  4. Open the ADMS Console and perform the database migration."

I am not sure about instruction 3.

-I am to navigate to Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe and do what with it?

Is the instruction lacking a of ADMS b2bmigrate operation in command line mode, like "Connectivity.ADMSConsole.Exe -Ob2bmigrate -VUadministrator -VPadmin_password -DBUsql_user -DBPsql_password" ??

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BL4849
in reply to: JorgenBjornes

Hold off updating the Vault Server.  A few ppl have posted there is a problem with Update 1 (client). Better wait until Autodesk fix this issue.

Message 3 of 9
JamesMcMullen
in reply to: BL4849

You should be able to skip step #3.  When you open up the ADMS Console itself, it will prompt you for migration and you must perform that migration.  And we are actively looking into the other issues that have been posted.

Thanks,

Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 4 of 9

Why can I skip #3?  This section is about database update, not database migration. Database was migrated in the previous step (installation) where the ADMS console was started. (link to complete readme: http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/readme_vault2012_update1.htm ).

Sorry to be dense, but I really would feel better understanding the instructions and performing the update correctly.  Espesially since we are talking about servers here.

The instructions clearly states that we should navigate to the Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe folder in a command window, but gives no instruction what to do there. I fear that there is a step missing in the readme, which might or might not be important.

Message 5 of 9

I totally agree.  Let's see if I can make it a little less confusing...  In the read me link that you posted, have you finished the "Update 1 Installation" section? 

* If so, when you open up the ADMS Console do you see any migration dialogs or warning/error indications on any of your vault/libraries?

* If you have not finished the "Update 1 Installation" section, is it possible to get what type of environment you are in?  (i.e. Single Site, Multi-site, or Replicated)  I can attempt to clear things up once I have that information.

We are working towards addressing the read me documentation.

Thanks,

Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 6 of 9

Yes I have done the installation part first.

I am updating for my persinal (single server) vault now.

But I have several clients, with both replicated filestore and replicated databases. This is why I like to have full control of the procedure. Usually the instructions are straight forward and clear, but not in this case...

On my single server system I had installed patch and opened ADMS console to migrate the database before coming to the not so clear quoted text on database updating.

Message 7 of 9

Understandable, we will have to address the read me.

Your single site is already complete.

For your multi-site / Replicated environments, you would want to upgrade all the sites accordingly without opening up the ADMS Console.  Once the sites have been updated...

In a replicated environment (replicated database), you would open up the site that is in your Publisher environment and the closest to the SQL.  Allow the migration finish.  At which point, you can start opening the subscribers. 

In a multi-site environment (file replication), you would want to pick the site that is closest to the SQL and all the migration to continue. 

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 8 of 9

OK, thanks !

Message 9 of 9
Peter-Avsec
in reply to: JamesMcMullen

Hi James,

I'm Peter and have an issue on Update 2 for Autodesk Vault Basic 2013 on my TEST SERVER befor doing any migration to Autodesk Vault Basic 2014 for my client.

I performed UPDATE 2 and am about to do DATABASE UPDATE like pointed out below :

Database Update

1. Open a command prompt and navigate to the installed location of Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe.

2. Run ADMS b2bmigrate operation in command line mode:

1. Example: Connectivity.ADMSConsole.Exe -Ob2bmigrate -VUadministrator -VPadmin_password -DBUsql_user -DBPsql_password

2. NOTE: Replace 'admin_password' with the appropriate administrator password for the -VP switch.

3. The last two command line parameters are required only if the 'sa' password is not the default password.

3. A 'migration successful' dialog will display when the b2bmigrate operation has completed.

4. If necessary, open ADMS Console and attach any previously detached databases.

But I don't get the migration succesfull dialog. I followed the "Connectivity.ADMSConsole.Exe Connectivity.ADMSConsole.Exe " with the TASKMANAGER, it showed up but few seconds later it dissapeared.

Can I skip this point and go on to "OPEN ADMS COnsole" to do a migration, like you said in this post.

Thanks in advance for any help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report