Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Design With Renaming

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
ASchlaack
296 Views, 2 Replies

Copy Design With Renaming

I've got an .iam that is ran through iLogic. I have this vaulted as a template. What I need to be able to do is copy design the .iam then rename it and also have it rename all the part contained within the .iam.

For example my .iam template name would be "15-1-0000 - ASSY" and each part in it would be named "15-1-0000 - PART".

When I design copy it I'd want to be able to do something along the lines of change the .iam name to "15-1-0001 - ASSY". And when I do that I would need each part to do a save as and have the name update to "15-1-0001 - PART".

In what way can I accomplish this? I'm clueless and anything would help, I need this done by Friday...

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Dell Windows 8.1 64 bit Intel(R) Xeon(R) @ 3.50GHz 32GB Ram
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
cbenner
in reply to: ASchlaack

When you do the copy design you will need to rename all of the part files as well as the assembly.  You CAN use a Find & Replace to do this, but as far as I know there is now automatic way to rename the assembly and have the part files rename themselves from that. 

You can also use Find & Replace on the destination path, if you need to.

Message 3 of 3
ASchlaack
in reply to: cbenner

Thank you,

That sounds like it should work just fine, thank you. Now my question is though if in the original .iam I have a rule that’s referring to something such as:

Parameter("15-1-0000 - GUARD_HOLDER:1", "WIDTH")

When the files become renamed from “15-1-0000 – GUARD_HOLDER:1” to “15-4-6548 – GUARD_HOLDER:1” how can I make that rule adapt and update to locate and use the new file as its source part? OR will the Find & Replace function change these aswell?

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Dell Windows 8.1 64 bit Intel(R) Xeon(R) @ 3.50GHz 32GB Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report